So the kids love Tacos, right? Then they’ll love this chicken taco rice, packed with heaps of veggies and designed to make Taco Tuesday a bit different. By making your own taco seasoning you’re ensuring that everyone gets a yummy and healthy dinner. I’m not claiming this is authentic mexican food, to be honest I don’t think most of the things that we eat in Australia under the guise of mexican are authentic, but this has all the flavour and punch of tacos, and therefore is called chicken taco rice.
Playing with the veggies in this is easy, just sub basically the same or similar quantity- it’s very forgiving! Feel free to use carrots, sweet potato, whatever you’ve got in the fridge. I make no secret of the fact that we love to have a taco night at Kidgredients, here’s our ultimate mexican fiesta. It’s always gobbled and the autonomy of putting what they want in their tacos or tortillas. We also always have a stockpile of pineapple pulled pork which is perfect for nachos or tacos.
As an added bonus, this does really well in a thermos, freezes very well (for a rice dish) and tastes great the second night as leftovers. Also, if you’re feeling like you want to make it a bit different, use it the next day to make arancini with a mexican twist!
Because this is an all in one meal, my kids love it. Master 3 may have even eaten a pea or three without noticing, as they get lost in the colour of the rice.
Chicken Taco Rice
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced 2cms thick
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice (makes about 3.5 cups when cooked)
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen pea kernels
- 1 onion diced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp oregano (dried)
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, leaves only, chopped roughly.
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cumin (ground)
- juice of one lime
- First, put the brown rice into a rice cooker or saucepan and cook as you normally would.
- Heat the oil in a large frypan.
- Fry the chicken until golden (you may have to do this in batches.
- Remove the chicken when golden.
- Add the onion, and herbs to the frypan with the carrot and zucchini.
- Add the cooked rice, frozen peas and frozen corn.
- Mix well. Add the chicken back into the frypan, add the juice of one lime and 1/2 a cup of water.
- Fry over medium heat until all the water is gone.
- Garnish with coriander.
- Serve with guacamole and sour cream.