A while ago we bought a packet of bickies from Aldi. They became a firm favourite. But they aren’t cheap and they do contain a bit more sugar than I would like as well as a few different bits and pieces that we could do without. These date and apple bickies are our version of them, just as yummy, but much better for you.
I hunted high and low on the web until I found this recipe from Mums in the Mix. But as usual, I didn’t have all the bits! It wasn’t exactly what I needed, because I needed them to be apple cinnamon, but that was easily tweaked.
So here’s my take on these yummy bickies. These got gobbled and certainly got the seal of approval from both Mini Kidgredients. These date and apple bickies are going to be on high rotation at Kidgredients HQ!
These bickies are apparently better than the originals and have been eaten heaps over the last few months. We’ve also done some different flavours, by doing 1/4 cup apple and 1/4 cup blitzed strawberries, 1/4 cup apple and 1/4 mashed banana, 1/4 cup apple, 1 tbsp chia seeds and 1/4 cup pear.
Kept in an airtight container in the fridge these should last a week, although they are always gone before then. They are also awesome in lunchboxes and don’t fall apart, however, I must admit they are most eaten for afternoon tea.
UPDATE: Sometimes you make a recipe and it works out brilliantly every time. This is one of those! it’s now October 2016 and I have lost track of how many times these have been made, so I thought it was high time I took some new photos of them. Out with the old photos…in with the new!
- 6 dates (I used medjool dates- don't forget to pip them!)
- ½ cup apple puree
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup water
- 130g butter
- 30g panela sugar (sub raw/coconut/ whatever sugar floats your boat)
- 1 egg
- 125g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 125g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees or 160 fan forced.
- Combine the sugar and butter in your food processor. Blitz until combined.
- Add the egg, blitz again.
- Add both flours, blitz until a thick dough forms.
- Roll into a ball and refrigerate in a container for at least ½ hour.
- Chop the dates up into 3-4 pieces depending on their size.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the dates and water. Bring to the boil then cook until sticky anand thick.
- Combine with the apple puree and cinnamon and refrigerate.
- Divide the dough into three.
- Roll out each third into a large rectangle approx 20cm by 10cm. Slice through the middle to make two rectangles.
- Use one third of the fruit mix to put a line of it down the left hand side of each rectangle.
- Roll each rectangle up then cut into 3-4 pieces. Place on a lined baking tray.
- Repeat with the other dough balls.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.