Date and banana muffins, no added sugar came about because after a cooking class, I had excessive dates and um…excessive squidgy bananas. So I baked. These mini muffins contain no added sugar and are perfect for the lunchbox. They are sweet enough to feel indulgent, despite the lack of sugar.
Dates and banana mini muffins, those two ingredients, they are like a match made in mini muffin heaven! If you haven’t tried the combo before, trust me, you are missing out. I’m thinking this could be my next loaf recipe. I used a silicone mini muffin pan for these because I really prefer my muffins to not need cupcake wrappers, especially for the lunchbox as that basically means rubbish that needs to be thrown out.
Now the kid test, Miss 6 loved these, they are her favourites at the moment, whereas Master 4 isn’t yet entirely convinced. I am though, and despite not being a major fan of bananas may have eaten a couple of these myself.
They are freezer friendly and hold up really well on defrosting, which is so important if they are going to be a lunchbox item, because otherwise what are you going to do with 24 mini muffins? 😉
- ½ cup dates soaked in ½ cup hot water
- 2 brown bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Pop the dates and the water into a food processor and blitz until chopped up well, It takes about 1 minute. Stop when they are a consistency that you like, we don't mind some chunks.
- In a large bowl, mix the mashed banana, melted coconut oil, vanilla paste and egg together.
- Add the flour and the dates mixture.
- Pour into mini muffin trays.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes.