I while ago, had I been asked about yoghurt pouches I wouldn’t have been able to answer you properly. But now I can safely say, that yes, reusable yoghurt pouches are awesome! I’d been reluctant to use them, fearful of lunchbox explosions and mess but then I was sent some My Lil Pouch yoghurt pouches to try. And I’ve become a bit yoghurt pouch obesessed. It’s so easy to make the kids a healthy snack in the yoghurt pouches, whether you buy your yoghurt or you make your own, it’s really simple!
We’ve only ever had on lunchbox explosion and unbelievably, that was this morning. You see… Miss 4 sat on her lunch bag (very heavily) and the pressure of her bum on the yoghurt pouch with her yumbox underneath not only crushed the pear she was taking, but also exploded her yoghurt pouch. It was a quick clean up and a lesson learned. So unless your child is being silly, there is no reason why using yoghurt pouches shouldn’t be an awesome snack addition to the lunch box.
If you’re still on the fence, let me give you some convincing with this guide to yoghurt pouches 101.
- Never fill past the line. Most especially if they are being frozen. The line is so that you don’t overfill and have an explosion or just a big leak when sealing that means there will be yoghurt everywhere.
- Get a mini funnel. It makes it so easy that I can almost fill them one handed.
- Make sure you open the bottom of the pouch up so it is standing nicely before you start filling it.
- Remember to blitz! If you don’t, chunks will get caught in the spout and the yoghurt won’t come out.
- Don’t forget to pack an icepack, or make sure it gets stored in the fridge, after all, yoghurt is a dairy product!
- I fill a maximum of two days worth of yoghurt pouches at a time as I use fresh ingredients as flavouring and the fresh fruit can accelerate the ageing processes of the yoghurt.
- Wash out the pouches as soon as they get home from school. If you’re planning on dishwashing them, fill them with water if they won’t be washed immediately.
- Pop the lids in a cup with a squirt of dishwashing liquid and some warm water. Then all that is needed is a quick scrub, rinse and they can be left to airdry.
- Dishwasher? The open them out, remove the cover and make sure they are spread across some prongs in the top of the dishwasher that will keep them open.
- For drying, I open mine as best as I can on my drying rack (boon grass) so as to make sure nothing nasty grows in them!
- Didn’t get them perfectly clean? Well, put the cap on, add a squirt of dishwashing liquid and attack with a foam ended bottle brush. give the pouch a good shake to ensure all the yoghurt is out!
This giveaway has closed.
This post contains affiliate links which means that I earn a small commission if you follow the links and purchase. You pay the same price and help me out so that I can bring you awesome content.