So. Some nights my meal planning and pre prep fails me. And I take out something that has lost its label and assume it will be enough for all 4 Kidgredients. Tonight my planning failed me. There was enough chicken in my package for the two mini kidregients and maybe a nibble from a big kidgredient. PLAN B? Yep, there wasn’t one.
Until I remembered I had some rice paper rolls, some bifun noodles and veggies. Plus a few slices of smoked salmon.
The great thing about this recipe is getting the kids involved and letting them spiralise the veggies and choose what makes it into their rolls. That means….they get eaten! Master 2 may have stolen a few slices of smoked salmon here and there whilst we were making them, but that’s all part and parcel of cooking with kids. I’d rather him stealing salmon than chocolate.
You want the veggies about the same thickness as the noodles so it all sort merges together in the rolls. Give the kiddies a bit of help with wrapping the rice paper rolls or they end up with a pile of noodles and a rice paper! (Trust me….we’ve been there…and nobody likes a collapsed rice paper roll).
Want more rice paper rolls ideas? Rice paper rolls for lunchboxes.
- 10 sheets rice paper for Vietnamese spring rolls
- 1 portion bifun noodles (or swap for rice vermicelli)
- 1 carrot, grated or sprialized
- 1 zucchini, grated or sprialized
- ½ a red capsicum, julienne
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed
- 2 spring onions, sliced into small rings
- ½ a Lebanese cucumber, cut into lengthways matchstick slices.
- ⅓ cup Vietnamese salad dressing
- Optional: protein of your choice
- Dipping sauce: 1 tbsp kecap manis and 1 tsp sweet chilli sauce per person
- Cook the noodles according to the packet and drain, allow to cool. Chop a few times with kitchen scissors.
- Combine the carrot, noodles, corn, zucchini, red capsicum, spring onions in a bowl.
- Add the salad dressing and allow to sit for ½ hour or so.
- Prepare the rice paper rolls by soaking as needed in water.
- Place one paper on a plate.
- Add your protein, top with 1.5 tbsps noodle salad mix.
- Top with two slices of cucumber and roll.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
- Makes 10.