I’m always looking for yummy slow cooker meals, they are so easy and make those nights when you have a gazillion things to do and only one person to do it all much easier. This one takes a while to set up- but you are rewarded with the flavour. Trust me, it’s all worthwhile.
To be honest, I’ve never been to Morocco, but I have a lot of their ceramics and I own a tajine, bought in London many years ago. I’ve eaten my fair share of Moroccan food too, both in restaurants and in friends homes.
Slow cooker Moroccan lamb certainly hits the hearty yummy dinner spot! The cinnamon and dates in this make it so sweet, something which really appeals the kiddies.
It was a hit with both mini kidgredients, although I may have lied and said the couscous was very small pasta. If you’re feeling particulary enthusiastic you could flavour your couscous…but I wasn’t feeling energetic enough for that tonight.
Don’t be daunted by the ingredients list. It’s all about flavour!
- 1kg lamb, diced
- 3 tsps cumin, coriander powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1.5 tsps salt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 1 eggplant, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 small brown onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 medjool dates, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 quarter of a preserved lemon, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or one cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight then boiled for 15 minutes)
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh coriander.
- Combine the salt, cumin coriander powder, cayenne pepper and fennel seeds in a large bowl. Coat the lamb in the mix.
- Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Fry the lamb in batches to brown on all sides. Transfer to the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Fry the eggplant until brown on all sides, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion and garlic and lemon, lower the heat and fry until soft.
- Add the dates, the water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then simmer until sticky. Add the tomatoes and the chickpeas, return to the boil.
- Add this to the meat and eggplant and stir well.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Scatter the coriander over the top before serving.
- Serve on a bed of couscous.
- Freezes well. Serves 4 adults and 4 kids (we froze half).