The name for this one came about because my daughter was convincing her brother to eat it, telling him he would turn into a superhero by eating superhero sauce. Needless to say, he didn’t turn into a superhero…but he did eat it all.
I’m rather amused by the superhero thing to be honest as I’ve never watched any with either child, but my son seems to know what they are and loves running around the house saving us all.
Just a note on the pancetta: it’s sold in slices or if you go to a deli or butcher then you can get a chunk from the roll. I just ask for 1 round about 2 cms thick.
This sauce was so scrummy that it was actually requested the next day as well! I’m calling that as a win. It tasted really sweet because of the red capsicum.
I guess the meaning of the name Superhero Sauce is two-fold, it also refers to all the fresh vegies used that make it special. Feel free to cram in even more veggies if you think you can get away with it.
- 1 round of pancetta 2cms thick, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- 3 fresh tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 tin of tomatoes, crushed
- 1 red capiscum, diced
- Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the pancetta and brown it.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the capsicum and fresh tomatoes and tinned tomatoes.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the grated veg and keep stirring.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and is shiny.