Quick and easy breakfasts are my mantra for school mornings, weekend mornings, bascially any morning. And that's where these quick 3 ingredient easy egg cups come in. Great for baby led weaning and toddler meals, these egg cups also work really well in the lunchbox.
Why you're going to love these easy egg cups
They are so quick to prepare! They keep in the fridge for 3-4 days in a sealed container once cooked. Breakfast- meal prep style.
Once you've done eggs like this for breakfast, you'll never go back to standing over the stove frying them on the go for breakfast. Here's why:
- quick to make - they only take minutes of prep and then into the oven
- meal prep- do a few days in advance so mornings are easier
- simple- I've got all the tips and tricks below for you to make them perfect!
- HEALTHY- eggs are good for you!
- 3 ingredients- need I say more?
What you need
If you've ever stood at the stove frying eggs or poaching them for breakfasts, you've probably wondered why there isn't a better way.
And there is! These easy egg cups are just what you've been looking for for easy, healthy breakfasts.
- muffin pan- we are a family of four so I use a 12 cup, but you can adjust it to suit your family we love non stick muffin pans so you don't need any extra oil like these from RACO (use my code KIDGREDIENTS to get 20% off storewide)
- eggs- choose free range eggs where you can, not just for ethical reasons, but also for taste.
- zucchini- to add a little extra moisture and ensure they don't burn
- cheeese- for the yum factor
- salt- because otherwise you'll be putting it on later!
How to make the egg cups in the oven
These easy egg cups will change the way you cook eggs!
Make sure you check out the recipe card below for all the extra info you need.
Step 1- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
Preheating is so important! That means your cooking will be done in the right amount of time.
Step 2- Grate the zucchini and cheese.
Use a small hole grater to grate the zucchini, and a medium for the cheese.
Step 3- Crack the eggs into the muffin pan
Try not to break the yolk, but don't stress if you do!
Step 4- Slide the zucchini into the egg white and put cheese on top and salt to taste.
Try not to cover the yolk, they look prettiest when it is visible!
Step 5- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes
This depends on your oven, but start checking them at 15 minutes.
Top tips for cooking easy egg cups
- Try not to break the yolks! It might happen, and don;'t stress if it does, but they do look prettiest if you don't.
- Use a good quality non-stick muffin pan. Or if you don't have one, a little spray oil in the bottom will help with removal.
- Remove them from the pan with a silicone spatula. So you don't scratch the muffin pan.
- Cool on a wire rack before refrigerating. Or they will end up slightly wet!
- you can add bacon to these.
- they are also great with mushrooms instead of zucchini, just thinly slice them
- try spinach finely chopped instead of zucchini
- crumble fetta on top instead of grated cheddar
What should I serve them with?
Whether you go with a slice of toast, bacon or pop them in an english muffin, they will be delicious! Or try them with sliced avocado for a gluten free breakfast.
They also work well in the lunchbox, and I often find that I'm popping them into the lunchbox at the end of the week!
Need more egg breakfast recipes?
- these quinoa egg cups are delicious for breakfast or in the lunchbox
- this Spanish omelette is a favourite!
- these egg muffins work for breakfast on the go or in the lunchbox
- this bacon and egg slice is a winner
- struggling to cook perfect boiled eggs? follow this method for perfect boiled eggs everytime.
3 ingredient easy egg cups
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Grate the zucchini and cheese.
- Crack the eggs into your non stick muffin pan.
- Slide the zucchini into the egg white and sprinkle cheese onto the eggs.
- Salt lightly on top.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 15-18 minutes.
- Serve hot or cool on a wire-rack before refrigerating.