I always had visions of my kids eating absolutely everything I offer them, licking their lips and exclaiming with joy that the food I’d prepared was wonderful. The reality of life with my two children (one of whom is very vocal) is that sometimes they just don’t like what I cook. Sometimes, when they are tired, hungry and basically sick of me, they will flat out refuse to eat.
Gone are the days of the spicy curries, the garlic prawns and things which don’t look immediately delicious but taste awesome. But I’m managing to sneak it back in. On Saturday night both my kids ate chicken tikka masala!
So… I thought I’d share 5 meals that I never thought my kids would eat in the hope that maybe you can get some yummy adult food back into the week.
1. Chicken Tikka Masala. I thought our days of delicious Indian food were over until the kids happily devoured this on Saturday night. The recipe I used is from the kitchn.com you can find it here. I served it with rice and flatbreads.
2. Pasta with meatballs. My daughter declared she hated meatballs….so I decided to downsize them and up the tastiness. The result: winner! You can find my recipe here.
3. Mughlai chicken. This nigella recipe is a mild and scrummy curry that my kids totally loved. It freezes well too, so makes for an easy instant dinner. Awesome with some rice, flatbreads and green steamed veggies.
4. Sticky chicky. Sauce is not a favourite thing for my kids. So I was very surprised when they ate this. Miss 4 had seconds, thirds and then fourths.
5. Lasagna. I’ll share the link this week. It’s become a mainstay here, with slices chopped and frozen for nights when its all too hard. Initially though, it was adamantly refused. A little white lie about it being the favourite food of Sofia the First…and now it is most definitely in the good books! 🙂