This post is updated! It needed a makeover. My kids have grown a bit since I did these, but they are still a favourite! These apple pie yoghurt dough scrolls are winners! I originally published this on May 6, 2015.
Master 2 is obsessed with yoghurt dough scrolls. They are in his lunch box, what he has for lunch at home. Basically his go-to food. I decided last night to experiment with some sweet ones as a dessert and these Apple pie yoghurt dough scrolls were born.
They are sweet and hit the dessert spot well, so they really are a sometimes food. Unlike the scrolls I make for lunches they also only contain white self raising flour as being a dessert they don't need to be as dense. I've used pink lady apples in these as they are what we had, but they would be equally as delicious with any other type of apple.
I had the pleasure of making these with the son of a good friend of mine. He was quite surprised that I was putting yoghurt and flour together and making a dough. He was also slightly worried about the whole concept as he doesn't like yoghurt. But he did get his hands all floury measuring the flour which he thought was fun.
Now, if you're on the anti sugar bandwagon, you can cut it back. I did use unrefined raw sugar, and to be perfectly honest as a treat or dessert that is eaten every now and then, I think it's fine. But feel free to adjust to suit your family!
Master 2 and Miss 4 loved these, I felt they would have been nice with the addition of some custard- but there certainly wasn't time for making any last night.
Can't get enough of these Apple pie yoghurt dough scrolls? Try some of my other scroll recipes below:
- Cinnamon sultana scrolls
- Zucchini, Za’atar and Cheese yoghurt dough Scrolls
- Hazelnut and choc chip scrolls
Apple pie yoghurt dough scrolls
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 apples peeled and grated
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons raw sugar I used coconut sugar in the video
- 2 tbsps butter melted
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Combine the yoghurt and flour with the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix (either in a mixer with a dough hook or by hand) until you have a well combined dough.
- Roll out the dough to make a large rectangle on a floured surface.
- Spread with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top.
- Do the same with the cinnamon and the apple.
- Roll up to make a large sausage and cut into two cm rounds.
- Lay the rounds on a lined oven tray and bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Makes 16 scrolls.