Have your cake and eat it too with these delicious Apple Zucchini Muffins. Perfect for the lunchbox, a mid afternoon snack or even warmed up as a dessert and slathered with custard! Great for smuggling veggies in a yummy way. Get these muffins made in only 30 minutes.
Why you're going to love these muffins
Muffins are so great for baking in advance and always having them ready! Here is why you're going to love these muffins:
- one bowl mixing
- easy to mix, no mixer needed
- use whatever apples you have
- bake in only 20 minutes
- perfect for freezing
- tasty apple cinnamon flavour
- hidden veggies
What goes into the recipe
Don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for the full amounts and instructions
- self raising flour I call this lazy mum flour. It's basically plain flour with baking powder already in it. You can use plain flour and baking powder instead if you don't have any. The ratio is 1 cup flour to 2 tsps baking powder.
- buttermilk- why? Because it makes muffins fluffier and taste better. Don't have any? You can make your own by adding 1 tsp white vinegar to a cup of milk and leaving it to sit for 5 minutes. Technically it isn't exactly buttermilk, but it will do the job.
- mixed spice- you can buy that in the supermarket here- it contains a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and works well to give a really nice spice flavour to the muffins.
- coconut oil- all muffins need a fat source of they end up dry. I've used coconut oil but you could swap it for butter, or another oil of your choice.
How to make this recipe
- Grate the apple (1)
- Mash the banana (2)
- Grate the zucchini (3)
- Peel and chop one apple (4)
- Combine the grated zucchini, mashed banana and grated apple together with the milk, eggs, buttermilk, coconut oil. (5)
- Mix until well combined. (6)
- Add in all the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. (7 and 8)
- Mix through the peeled and chopped apple. (9)
- Fill muffin tins with the mixture. (10)
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar.(11)
- Sprinkle on the tops of the muffins. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a cooling rack until cold. (12)
Expert tips and FAQs
These muffins are super easy to make, but I've put together some tricks and tips for you.
Simple! It's part of the texture of the muffins, if you only do grated they have less texture, and if you only do chopped, they are harder to mix and don't taste as awesome.
No, you can leave it out, but it adds to the sweetness and texture of the muffins and I think it makes them even more delicious.
Because of the apple and zucchini in the muffins, they won't last long on the bench. They are best stored in the fridge, for up to 3 days.
Yes! They are and they do really well when defrosted so they are great for keeping in the freezer for lunchboxes.
More delicious apple recipes
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see why you've been making!
Apple Zucchini Muffins
- 3 apples (grate 2, peel and chop 1)
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 banana
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsps vanilla paste (or extract)
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180° degrees celsius (375F)
- Grate two of the apples.
- Grate the zucchinis.
- Mash the banana.
- Peel and chop the final apple.
- Combine the grated apple, grated zucchini, mashed banana, egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla paste in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and incoporate until no dry patches are visible.
- Add the peeled, chopped apple and stir through.
- Fill 15 muffins holes with the mixture.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together for the topping. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees celsius testing with a skewer for doneness.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.