Miss 4 and I are on a cooking roll at the moment. She loves it! Every Tuesday we cook together and every now and then we also do an extra cook/make midweek just to satisfy her desire to be in the kitchen. We "needed" to cook desperately after preschool the other day and with dinner already done, and Master 2 who hadn't given in to sleep during the day now unconscious on the couch, it had to be something fuss free. And nut-free- because the spoils were going to preschool the next morning! So we made some cacao and coconut seedy bliss balls.
I bought some Cacao powder recently and I am really enthusiastic to use it. The first victim is these bliss balls! I got out our aprons and we dug out the food processor. Miss 4 did all the measuring, rolling and the taste testing. I'm so proud of the skills she's learning in the kitchen. The best part about working with Miss 4? She also removed the pits from the dates...and actually enjoyed doing it!
Now, these are seriously yummy, perfect for lunchboxes and with no added sugar, these are a perfect afternoon pick-me-up. There's no oils added to these either, and the yoghurt helps to keep them all together. If you wanted to make them dairy free then you could sub the yoghurt for coconut oil.
These little beauties keep well in the fridge for up to a week (yeah good luck with that...ours are almost gone) or freeze well. Just remember to pop them in the lunchbox the night before.
Want more of these bliss balls ideas? Check out my popular posts below:
- Lemon coconut bliss balls, nut free!
- 4 ingredient strawberry cheesecake bliss balls
- Apple pie oat bliss balls
Cacao and coconut seedy bliss balls
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- 12 dates softened in water for 1 hour before
- 3 tbsps greek yoghurt
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds soaked in 2 tbsps water for 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- ¾ cup dessicated coconut for rolling
- Place the dates a bowl, with enough water to cover them in the bowl of the food process. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Drain off water.
- Add the chia seeds and 2 tbsps of water to the bowl, allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the coconut for rolling.
- Blitz until well combined.
- Form into balls and roll in the coconut.