I've never been a chicken mince aficionado, but recently I've been using it more and more. These cheesy chicken meatballs are the perfect dinner when served in our cherry tomato pasta sauce. They freeze well too, so they are perfect for weeknights. They are egg free and gluten free!
Meatballs are basically the perfect way for kids to enjoy different flavours too. We love them because the little bites can be as plain or as flavourful you like- these ones are super yummy because of the herbs and the stringy cheese makes them so much fun!
What's great about meatballs is that they are made bite sized, so they aren't daunting like a big bit of steak and they are also of a softer texture, so they are perfect for kids who are learning to chew and those who don't have many teeth (like Miss 7 at the moment).
These meatballs are gluten free, I don't really like breadcrumbs as a filler in meatballs, why bother when you can use tasty things instead? The parsley, olive oil and mozzarella work together with the chicken mince to make delicious meatballs- no fillers needed! By making them in the food processor, they will stick together, without egg and without breadcrumbs! I know, because that's how I always make them.
Weeknights shouldn't have to be hard, so if you can't be bothered with the sauce, that's fine too, feel free to buy a jar sauce and use it, but make sure to heat the sauce through and cook the meatballs for the same amount of time. I recommend the storebought Barilla sauces or the Woolworths Macro range.
Can't get enough of this meatball recipe? I have prepared more for you. Check them out:
- Parmesan chicken basil baked meatballs
- Mini sweet and savoury baked pork meatballs
- Thai turkey curry meatballs with sweet potato noodles, gluten and dairy free!
Cheesy chicken meatballs in cherry tomato sauce
- 500 grams chicken mince
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 2 tbps olive oil
- 3 tbsps parsley
- extra olive oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 basil leaves chopped
- 2 tbsps fresh oregano chopped
- 400 mls passata
- ½ cup water
- Add the olive oil and onion to a sauce pan and fry until the onion is soft.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and the herbs, stir until fragrant- about 2 mins.
- Pour in the passata and water. Cook over medium heat.
- Place the chicken mince, mozzarella, parsley and olive oil a food processor and blitz until well combined.
- Roll into small meatballs.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat and fry the meatballs in olive oil until browned.
- Drop into the sauce that's cooking as they brown.
- Serve over cooked pasta!