Every year we make cookies for Santa. These Christmas butter cookies are easy to make, quick to bake and super yum to eat.
You know I took a special trip to the shops just to find Christmas M&Ms? Crazy, but true. Apparently, according to Miss 8, I should have just bought normal ones and she could have eaten all the non-Christmas colours to help me out. I declined her offer!
Looking for the Christmas M&Ms was actually quite fun. No-one knew if they had them yet and I visited the Christmas aisle about 5 times perusing what was around until I found them at the total other end of the store. If you're looking for them, check the end of rows and also just near the nut section!
These Christmas butter cookies are a bit different to what you normally find on my blog, but this time of year brings out the fun side of my recipes. If you are really averse to sugar, don't make them, but they are perfect for taking in for the end of school parties or for sharing with friends.
They are the perfect cookies to make for Santa too- just make sure to leave some crumbs on the plate.
The kids have been having these in their lunchboxes because one little bit of naughty in a day full of good food isn't going to get them into Santa's bad books. And because: they are kids once.
The kids helped to pop the M&Ms on top of these, so excuse the random colour placement. 4 or 5 of them on top of each cookie works best, or you could put them through the mix after refrigerating for a more mixed look.
These cookies also freeze well, and one batch makes 30 cookies, so they are perfect for keeping in the freezer just in case people "pop around".
If you need more Christmas ideas:
Christmas butter cookies
- 250 grams butter room temp
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 300 grams plain flour
- 2 tsps vanilla paste
- christmas M&M's
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and creamy in an electric mixer.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix for 1 minute more.
- Add the flour and mix with a spatula to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Take teaspoons of the dough mixture and roll into balls place on a lined oven tray.
- Press down on each ball and then add the M &Ms.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.