These crunchy baked veggie wontons are a hit even 3 years on! I've remade them today because I needed something yummy for lunch and because the photos needed a redo! They are quick and easy to make.
I have made all 40 of them and I'm freezing all the ones I didn't cook to bake quickly for afternoon tea or for weekend lunches. If you haven't tried making them, you should try them as they are a surprising favourite. Don't be grossed out by the fusion nature of them- because it actually works really well. And I'm never a fan of fusion foods.
I love to use purple cabbage as it looks a bid more interesting. It helps to add a colour contrast inside the wontons. You can mix the veggie mixture up as early as you like, even in the morning and make the wontons later, it makes no difference, if anything the kecap manis marinates the veggies and makes them softer and tastier.
I guess kids like crunchy stuff! And that's why these crunchy baked veggie wontoins work so well for them. If you need other crunchy kid foods, try these spring rolls or even these panko salmon bites!
A while ago I saw some baked veggie wontons on the kitchn. The recipe was great and I did make them once following the recipe. But they contained a few too many ingredients for the mini kidgredients. Not that they weren't appreciated, but I felt that I could make them simpler, easier and more accessible for a childs palate.
Since then I've developed my own recipe for them that you will love. Your kids will enjoy them. They are crunchy- find me a kid that doesn't love crunchy food! The sweetness of the kecap manis or sweet soy and the creaminess of the cream cheese will turn even the most ardent veggie hater into a convert.
These are great for the freezer (freeze before baking) and fantastic for lunches. They also make for a great little party snack and an entree.
Crunchy baked veggie wontons
- 1 carrots grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups cabbage shredded
- ½ cup kecap manis sweet soy
- 1 250 gram block of cream cheese
- one pack square wonton wrappers 40 wrappers
- Sesame seeds
- coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees
- Combine the carrot, zucchini, spring onions, cabbage and sweet soy in a bowl. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- Take a wonton skin and run around the edges with a finger that you dip in water.
- Put ¾ teaspoon of the veggie mix in the middle and top with ⅓ tsp of cream cheese.
- Fold the edges in an press together to seal.
- Continue until they are all done.
- Spray with coconut oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 220 degrees or until golden around the edges.
- (You will have about a tbsp of cream cheese left over)
- Makes 40