Nuggets. They are probably the most iconic food of childhood. I’m trying new things with mine, and these crunchy oat and sesame chicken strips are the best nuggets we’ve had yet! The kids love them, they are crunchy, yummy and super tasty.
These are bigger than nuggets, but really the cutting of the chicken is entirely up to you. I made these at lunchtime and reheated for dinner with some fried rice and the kids gobbled them. The really have a great flavour that is far better than any you’ll buy frozen and you know what’s in them!
If you wanted to, you could coat these and freeze on a tray so that you’ve got them ready to go. If you’re doing that I recommend doing a double batch as one batch makes enough for dinner and lunch the next day.
Now, what to serve them with? Well, we had them with fried rice tonight, because we had leftovers…but they’d be delish with steamed veggies, roasted sweet potato or even on a burger!
These crunchy oat and sesame chicken strips would be perfect for a kids party as a replacement for nuggets. Serve with a couple of dipping sauces (mayonnaise with dijon mustard is really nice with them) and they are the perfect party snack.
Once cooked they are also pretty yummy sliced into pieces and served with a salad, the crunch of the coating really works well with a tangy dressing!
Loving this nugget recipe? Check out these other nugget recipes I have created:
Crunchy oat and sesame chicken strips
- 4 chicken breast fillets chopped into strips
- 2 eggs whisked with ½ cup water
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 4 tbsps italian herbs
- olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Whizz the oats in a food process for about 15 seconds to break them up.
- Combine the oats, sesame seeds and italian herbs on a plate and mix to combine.
- Dip the chicken strips in the egg mixture then coat in the oat mixture.
- Lay them out on an oven tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 35 minutes, turning halfway through.