Perfect for lunchboxes, and fancy enough for party finger food, these Ham and Zucchini Pastry Rolls are quick and easy to make and positively delicious! Make a batch in under 25 minutes in the oven, and they only take 10 minutes to cook in the airfryer. Kids love these in the lunchbox, and they freeze well.
Why you're going to love this recipe
The kids love these little rolls of yumminess. and they have veggies in them so that's a win!
- everything tastes more amazing when wrapped in pastry
- they are quick to make and also freeze well
- little bits of ham sticking out the edge end up super crunchy
- cream and the mustard work together with the dill to make a really yummy taste
- adults LOVE them as appetisers
- kids love the shape and taste of them
- simple, easy to find ingredients
- uses puff pastry for super quick assembly
What goes into the recipe
don't to forget to scroll to the recipe card for full ingredients and method
- puff pastry- we love puff pastry! I buy the Pampas range, it comes in sheets. There are so many ways to use it, whether you want sweet or savoury options and it is literally my best friend for lunches! If you've got some in the freezer, then you can scramble something together for lunches. These scrolls for example are a quick one to make when you need to whip something up in a hurry!
- mustard- Don't think that the kids will dig the mustard? Well, it's barely noticeable and just adds an extra flavour dimension to the pastries. I think it's super important, especially as I have made these without and they were...bland!
- dried dill- you can swap this for parsley, thyme, or even marjoram, or oregano, but I love the flavour of dill
- thickened cream- this is cream with a thickener, normally corn flour. It helps the cream to stay thick and creamy during baking and not ooze out everywhere.
How to make this recipe
- Chop the ham. (Image 1)
- Grate the zucchini. (Image 2)
- Mix the ham, mustard, dill, zucchini and cream together in a large bowl.
- cut the pastry into 8 triangles (Image 6)
- centre teaspoonfuls of the mixture on each triangle. (Image 7)
- roll the sides in to make little rolls. (Image 8)
- brush with milk and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 20 minutes or until golden. Alternatively, cook in the airfryer for 10 minutes at 200 degrees celsius. (Images 9 and 10)
Air Fryer Cooking
I love using my air fryer for pastry. It comes out really crispy and flaky. The downside is making a few batches, but that's ok! Realistically I can fit 8 in the air fryer.
Expert Tips and FAQs
CRANK YOUR OVEN! 200 degrees celsius, fan forced! This is honestly the most important thing to do when working with puff pastry.
Sure! These will also work well with cooked bbq chicken or even salami.
CRANK YOUR OVEN! Preheating is super important. Get the oven to 200 degrees celsius fan forced before you put these in!
Yes! They are perfect for freezing and will defrost really well in the lunchbox.
More puff pastry ideas
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Ham and Zucchini Pastry Rolls
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 150 grams ham
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1.5 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 2 tbsps thickened cream
- 2 tbsps milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Place the pastry sheets on a chopping board, make 8 triangles by cutting from corner to corner, horizontally through the middle and vertically through the middle.
- Mix the ham, zucchini, cream, dill and mustard together in a bowl.
- Spoon teaspoonfuls of the mixture into the centre of each triangle, then roll the triangles up leaving one end open.
- Brush with milk and then bake at 200 degrees celsius (fanforced) 395F for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Air fryer: preheat to 200 degrees celsius and airfry for 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy
This post first appeared on the blog in 2014, was updated in 2016 and totally refreshed on 17/06/2021.