Hawaiian Pizza Scrolls are perfect for the lunchbox, quick to make, freezer-friendly and only 5 ingredients! Using frozen puff pastry makes these tasty morsels super easy to make and the pineapple makes them sweet yet savoury- meaning kids love them. Strong enough to stand up to even the toughest lunchbox football playing, they can be ready in under 30 minutes.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Scrolls are a lunchbox favourite. If you need any further encouragement, check out these ham and cheese pizza scrolls or these three veg scrolls! Here's why these Hawaiian Pizzas Scrolls are going to be loved by the whole family:
- quick and easy to make
- yummy flavour just like hawaiian pizza
- only 5 simple ingredients
- super cheap ingredients
- freezer friendly
- lunchbox friendly
- great for picnics and lunches
What goes into the recipe
Don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for full ingredient amounts and method
- puff pastry- four sheets of frozen puff pastry, they will only take 10 minutes to defrost, the same amount of time that your oven will need to heat up
- tomato paste- this is the perfect base for these scrolls and is a pantry staple. If you had leftover pasta sauce or similar it would also work really well
- ham- I used honey leg ham in this recipe- it was what we had in the fridge! Any ham will do the job.
- cheese- tasty or cheddar works well in this recipe, as it has good flavour and melts well, you could also use mozzarella, but it won't impart the same flavour.
- pineapple- you only need 4 rings of pineapple- one per puff pastry sheet. Any more than that and the scrolls will end up soggy.
How to make this recipe
- Spread tomato paste all over the pastry.
- Top with pineapple and ham.
- Cover with cheese.
- Roll to form a log
- Cut each log into 8 rounds.
- Place upright on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees celsius (392F).
Expert Tips and FAQs
These scrolls are good to keep in the fridge for 2 days. They are best kept in an airtight container.
Yes! In fact that means you can just grab them frozen and pop them directly into the lunchbox.
Scrolls and pinwheels are the same thing! I call them scrolls, some people call them pinwheels.
More 5 ingredients lunchbox recipes
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Hawaiian Pizza Scrolls
- 4 sheets puff pastry
- 150 grams ham diced or thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 4 slices of pineapple from a tin, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius. (392f)
- Spread the tomato paste evenly over the pastry sheets
- Divide the ham between the 4 sheets of pastry and sprinkle all over.
- Divide the chopped pineapple between the four sheets and place along the closest edge.
- Sprinkle each sheet with cheese.
- Roll up into logs and cut each log into 8 rounds.
- place on a lined baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
This recipe was originally published in 2016, updated in 2018 and fully republished in 2022, with nw photos, video and faq.