These delicious cornflake cookies are super easy to make, and will take you right back to your childhood. This version has been made healthier by lowering the sugar, you can get a batch made in under 20 minutes, no mixer required! Not only that, but you can freeze them, so they are perfect for grab and go lunchbox snacks.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Super easy to make and so yummy, these cookies are perfect for baking with the kids! Here are the reasons why you are going to love them:
- they aren't sugar free, but they have super low added sugar
- healthier than standard cornflake cookie recipes thanks to the lower sugar
- these cookies freeze well.
- perfect for grabbing and popping in the lunchbox because they defrost and keep their shape
- don't involve a mixer, so you can make them easily with the kids without too much hassle
- hands on mixing fun, you need to knead the dough to get it to the right consistency
- crunchy and yummy
- added sweetness from the sultanas
- fun to make
What goes into the recipe
don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for amounts and full method
- cornflakes- or their no brand name alternative! Even gluten free cornflakes work in this recipe
- butter- you could if needs be swap this for a dairy free alternative. I haven't tried it in these cookies, but give it a go!
- shredded coconut- not desiccated, as we want the added texture from shredded.
- brown sugar- coconut sugar or raw sugar will also work if you want to swap this. By keeping the added sugar in these super low, we are making much healthier cornflake cookies.
- self-raising flour- self raising flour is flour that already contains baking powder. If you don't have any the ratio is 1 cup flour to 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- sultanas- also called raisisns.
How to make this recipe
- Mix together the butter, sugar and vanilla (Image 1)
- Add in the flour and milk, get your hands into the mix and knead! You need to form a solid dough. The warmth of your hands will help to distruibute the butter throughout the mixture. (Image 2)
- Add the sultanas and coconut and mix through the dough, kneading it into it completely. (Image 3)
- Add the cornflakes and incorporate into the dough, trying not to break them up too much. (Images 4 and 5)
- Take dessert spoonfuls of the mixture and roll slightly then press down on a lined baking tray. (Image 6)
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees celsius (355F). Cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. (Image 7)
Expert Tips and FAQs
Making this recipe is fun and easy!
Pop them in an airtight container. If you're in a hot and humid environment, then they may need to be refrigerated.
Yes! They freeze really well and defrost easily too, retaining their shape.
By lowering the sugar (cornflakes already contain sugar!) it makes these cornflake cookies much healthier than average cornflake cookies!
Yes! Even gluten free cornflakes will work in this recipe.
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
- 125 g grams butter room temp
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ cups self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 ½ cups cornflakes
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (355f)
- Mix together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Add the flour and milk, and knead well, getting your hand into the bowl as the warmth from your hands will help to distribute the butter.
- Add the coconut flakes, sultanas and knead in.
- Mix in the cornflakes, being careful not to crush them too much.
- Place dessert spoonfuls of the mixture onto prepared oven trays and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Cool on the tray 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
This post was originally published on July 14 2017. It was completely republished including video, step by step process shots and useful hints and tips on July 22, 2021