One thing I love about summer is the abundance of delicious fruit. From the peaches, to the mangoes to the early season plums, I enjoy it so much that I want to bottle it while it’s here. One of the best ways to do so is to make sorbet.
This recipe works with or without an icecream machine, just choose your method. It’s dairy free, delicious and the perfect icy treat for a hot day. Two egg whites are used in this sorbet…but feel free to omit them if you have allergies, won’t/can’t eat raw egg or if it conflicts with you in any other way. It will result in the sorbet being firmer, but it will still be delicious.
- 675 grams fresh fruit of your choice mango, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, nectarines plums etc
- 150 grams sugar I used raw sugar and it works
- 225 mls water
- juice of one lemon
- 2 egg whites whisked
- Puree the fruit in a blender and sieve if you want it lumpless.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over lo heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Crank the heat to high and boil for 5 minutes or until the syrup becomes sticky. Leave to cool.
- When the syrup has cooled, add to the fruit and add the lemon juice.
- Ice cream machine method: Add the egg whites and churn in an icecream machine for at least 20 minutes.
- No machine method: Put the mixture in a bowl in the freezer. When the mixture has frozen around the edges fold the whisked egg whites in. Freeze until frozen.