I love meatballs. They are a change from a “bolognaise” sauce that uses pretty much the same ingredients. You can also be sneaky and pop extra veggies into meatballs that might be found in a sauce. If you make the meatballs small enough the veggies are unavoidable!
I cook a big batch (about 70) of the meatballs and then add to sauce when I need them and cook in the slow cooker. You can also do a big batch of the sauce with the meatballs in it and freeze. Inevitably, doing the sauce in the slow cooker you will have excess sauce. Just fish out the meatballs and distribute the sauce over them on the plates. Any extra sauce is delicious with pasta the next day for lunch.
Freeze extra meatballs in a container ready to add to sauce next time you want them!
You can also add meatballs in these recipes:
- Cheesy chicken meatballs in cherry tomato pasta sauce
- Thai turkey curry meatballs with sweet potato noodles, gluten and dairy free!
- Parmesan chicken basil baked meatballs
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 carrots, grated
- 75 grams hard italian cheese, eg parmesan, romano, pecorino
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 egg
- olive oil for frying
- 12 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 jar passata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- veg of your choice eg. 1 zucchini OR 3-4 shredded kale leaves OR a handful of baby spinach
- Combine the beef, carrots, cheese, tomato paste, egg and onion and mix together until completely combined.
- Take 1.5 tsps of the meat mix and roll into balls.
- They will be about the size of a cherry tomato.
- Heat oil in a medium fry pan to medium heat.
- Fry in batches (approx ten at a time) until golden, then flip and fry the other side.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Makes about 70.
- Allow 8 meatballs per adult, 4 per child.
- Heat one tbsp olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic together until soft. Add the green veg and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Put the passata, tin of tomatoes, shredded basil and contents of the saucepan in the slow cooker.
- Add the meatballs (if you are doing them all you will need double of the sauce) and push them down in the sauce.
- Cook for 5 hours on low.
Serving Size:1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 992 Total Fat: 63g Saturated Fat: 24g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 31g Cholesterol: 303mg Sodium: 659mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 9g Protein: 84g