Weeknights are peaceful and serene around here. My children do yoga and assist with dinner preparation whilst cleaning their rooms, vacuuming the whole house and speaking to each other in Italian. HAHA. Actually- evenings are pretty much like the hunger games. And the only Italian they use is screaming at each other "you're a pollo" (chicken!). So this one pot mexican chicken pasta is ready in 25 minutes and is specifically designed to make your evenings...and mine...easier.
It's super simple to make, and a bowl meal, which makes dinner even more awesome. Combining my kids two favourite things- mexican and pasta has meant that this dish is an absolute winner.
It also freezes well, so it means you can have it in the freezer ready for nights when even 25 minutes of hands on cooking is just way too much.
Top it with avocado, or some fresh salsa and crushed tortilla crisps and you are having a delicious (and fun) dinner! The creaminess of the cour cream and cheese work together with the beans and corn to combine different textures and make the dish super yummy.
Honestly, I never thought I would EVER put corn and sour cream with pasta, it's not exactly a traditional italian pasta dish. But, having said that, it just works.
More Mexican dinner ideas:
One pot mexican chicken pasta
- I tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- I brown onion diced
- 500 grams chicken breast chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400 grams spiral pasta
- 400 grams tin of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 400 gram tin of black beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup tortilla chips crushed
- Heat the olive oil, fry the garlic and onion together for 2 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Add the chicken and brown quickly.
- Add the herbs and stir quickly until fragrant @1 min)
- Add the pasta, corn, beans, chicken stock, tomatoes and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir through the sour cream and grated cheese.
- Serve hot topped with avocado slices and crushed tortilla chips.