Apparently, a cupcake is not a cupcake until it is iced. Until iced, according to my daughter it is a muffin. She’s 4. Her word is gospel. I’ve updated the title to reflect her obviously correct title. These passionfruit and yoghurt cupcake-muffins are edible nonetheless. And really yummy.
So these passionfruit and yoghurt cupcake-MUFFINS are made out of a desire to empty the fridge before we go away. I make my own yoghurt at least once a week for my own family, but I also make it for a few local families. Making your own means you can control what is in it and that you spend very little on it. A litre of yoghurt costs $1.25 when you make it yourself, but up to $5 for a similar product in the supermarket.
The other great thing about these? They are year-round baking. If you have fresh passionfruit, feel free to use them, but otherwise they are great from the can. If you wanted to substitute another fruit, you could probably do that too!
These little beauties are awesome for freezing and then popping in lunches for the kiddies. They also work with 1/2 wholemeal, but are a little denser. Icing them is entirely optional, but, if you want to move them from the realm of muffins into the world of cupcakes it is apparently essential.
I made these in a silicone cupcake tray as I’m loving nude cupcakes at the moment. I hate wasting the cupcake liners when it can be avoided! And if they are just for home consumption, why use them?
UPDATE: 20/07/2016 I used some gorgeous fresh passionfruit I got in my fruit and veggie box yesterday to make these. They only needed one passionfruit and have a gorgeous flavour! The colour of them is lovely too as the passionfruit were panama ones that are a bright red/pink inside.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 can passionfruit pulp, I found an organic one at Coles
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line or grease a standard cupcake tray or use a silicone cupcake tray.
- Strain the passionfruit pulp to remove the seeds if you want, otherwise add as is to the mix.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, coconut oil and yoghurt.
- Mix to combine.
- Distribute evenly in the cupcake tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minute, checking with a wooden skewer (if it comes out clean they are done).
- If you want to ice them: 1cup icing sugar, 2 tbsps butter, 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp.Mix together then spread over the cupcakes.