We've all had the traditional potato salad, but this one has a fresh new flavour and is perfectly delicious! Great for prepping in advance and perfect for a bbq or picnic, this Pesto Potato Salad with basil and pine nuts is your new family favourite, it's got all the flavours we love from pesto, separated out. Fun, fresh and super yummy, it has all the flavour you need to make a side dish become the star of the show! You can get it ready in only 15 minutes!
Why you're going to love this recipe
- easy to make- just cook the potatoes and assemble
- make in advance- I cook the potatoes the night before, or in the morning
- a new take on a favourite
- kid friendly
- perfect for a bbq
- fresh flavours
- creamy and delicious
- transportable, great for picnics
What goes into the recipe
don’t forget to scroll to the recipe card for quantities and the full method
- greek yoghurt- I love greek yoghurt in this potato salad, it adds tang, plus it's a healthier option than sour cream. The video has sour cream, but realistically the two are intercvhangeable in this recipe. I make my own yoghurt, using this method.
- spring onions - these are so good in salads, as they aren't as strong as normal onions and they give more "green" to the potato salad. If you've bought a bunch of them and need some more ideas for using them up, try our Crunchy coriander and spring onion pancakes
- pine nuts- are the best! And they aren't really a nut, they are a seed, so often people who are allergic to nuts aren't allergic to these, but make sure you check first. They are super easy to toast and toasting them is an important part of the recipe as it helps them to have more flavour and also more crunch. These are part of traditional pesto, but we like them so much better whole!
- basil- basil is such an awesome herb. I have it in abundance in the garden in summer and use it in so many things! Creamy Spinach and Fetta Dip uses it for flavour, and bruschetta is made with it too!
How to make this recipe
- Peel and dice the potatoes. 2.5cm dice works best. (Image 1)
- Cook using your preferred method (you can boil, steam, or even microwave!). I do mine in the microwave for 12 minutes. Cool them rapidly by rinsing under cold water, or cool in the fridge. (Image 2)
- Tear up the basil, I know this sounds silly, but it means it won't turn brown on the edges! (Image 3)
- Pop the pine nuts on a tray and toast in the oven at 200 degrees celsius (392F) for 5 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can turn quickly. Alternatively you can also do this in a frypan on the stove. (Image 4)
- Remove the pine nuts from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. (Image 5)
- Combine the pine nuts, chopped spring onions, basil, mayonnaise and greek yoghurt in a large bowl. (Image 6)
- Add the potatoes and mix through. (Image 7)
Expert Tips and FAQs
I do them in the microwave. It is quick and easy and only takes 12 minutes. You can also boil them on the stove or steam them.
Easy! Don't cut the basil with a knife or scissors, instead, tear it with your fingers!
Making this potato salad up to 24 hours in advance is no problem, just store in the fridge in an airtight container!
More salads the family will love
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Pesto Potato Salad
- 1 kg potatoes yellow ones are best for this recipe
- ½ cup greek yoghurt you can sub for sour cream if you prefer
- ¼ cup mayonnaise I used kewpie for this, but it can be any mayonnaise
- 1 cup basil leaves roughly torn
- 2 spring onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup pine nuts
- First peel and chop the potatoes into even cubes, I do 2.5cms.
- Cook the potatoes. I do this in the microwave for 12 minutes. You can also steam them or boil them. Cool them, either by running under cold water, or placing in the fridge.
- Place the pine nuts on a baking tray and place into a hot oven (200 degrees celsius or 392 F) for 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they will colour quickly. You could also do this step in a frypan.
- Place the basil, spring onions, mayonnaise and sour cream in a large bowl.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Refrigerate until serving.