I've been looking at ways to use up leftover rice for a while now and I think I've found a solution that not only tastes great but transports and freezes well too. You will need a silicone muffin tin for these as they are best pushed up and out of the tray when done. I was feeling very cool when I made up the name ruffins, humour me for a second...it's just like a "cronut", right?
I've used basmati rice for these as I like the texture and also because it was what we had for dinner the previous night. Ideally you won't be making these on the same day that you've had the rice for dinner as you want to dry out the rice in the fridge.
Play around with these, use other veg, add herbs and spices. Switch the cheese! Cater to your kids tastes.
- 3 cups cooked cooled overnight in the fridge basmati rice
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes from a tin with some of the juice
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Push into silicone cupcake molds, squashing down.
- Bake at 180 for 20 minutes or until they are golden.
- Remove from the ven and allow to cool in the tray for 10 minutes before storing in the fridge on baking paper/silpat liners.
- Can be frozen.