If you haven't tried Sticky Chicken Wings yet, be prepared to find your new family favourite. These deliciously sticky, sweet and savoury wings are perfect for sharing as a family. Sticky Chicken Wings is one of those meals that make everyone go "oooooh" when it comes to the table! Cook it in the slow cooker, pressure cooker, Instant Pot or even a dutch oven.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Because things that taste this good are really this easy!
If you're wondering if I'm crazy having this much chilli sauce in a meal- well....it's sweet chilli and the kids actually really love the flavour of it. This is one of our absolute family favourites and the kids ask for it whenever the slow cooker is out. Here's why your going to love this recipe:
- the kids love it
- serves 6
- choose how you want to cook: slow cooker, instant pot, pressure cooker,
- 90% done in the slow cooker/Instant Pot/ dutch oven
- perfect for busy afternoons, get it sorted at lunchtime, then it's ready (slow cooker) for dinner, or dash home, quick fry in the Instant POt and ready in no time
- the chicken is super tender and delicious, falling off the bone!
- perfect for pairing with rice and steamed veggies
- sticky, sweet yet savoury sauce
What goes into the recipe
don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for ingredient amounts and full method
- chicken wings- these can be swapped for drumettes if you prefer. You can also buy v-wings, which youjust have to chop into two instead of three.
- sweet chilli sauce- don't be put off by this! It is sweet and delicious! It helps to make everything super sticky and delicious.
- ginger- you can use crushed ginger if you don't have any fresh ginger, in fact even ginger powder will work, just use one teaspoon.
- soy sauce- just normal plain soy, not caramelised, not dark, not light!
- coriander- it's not essential but it gives it a final freshn ess and yumminess. If you don't like coriander, leave it off!
How to make this recipe
- First, chop each chicken wing into three pieces. (Image 1)
- Fry until golden either in a frypan or in the Instant Pot or Dutch Oven. (Image 2)
- Crush the garlic. (Image 3)
- Grate the ginger. (Image 4)
- Add the sweet chillki sauce and the honey to the soy, ginger and garlic.
- Add the honey.
- Mix well
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker/ Instant Pot/ Dutch Oven.
- Coat in the sauce and leave to cook.
- Plating: put rice down on a large platter, top with steamed greens. Sprinkle with spring onion and coriander. Add the chicken and pour over any extra sauce.
Instant Pot and Slow Cooker Cooking
Slow cooker: this cooks in the slow cooker on low for 5 hours, on high for 2.5 hours.
Instant Pot: this cooks in the Instant Pot in 20 minutes, on high with a manual pressure release
Dutch Oven: cooks in the oven for 2 hours at 160 degrees.
Expert Tips and FAQs
Yes! They will work with drumettes or v wings. You could also use marylands. It won't work with these instructions for breast fillets as they will be too dry as will chicken thighs.
Yes! They sub 1:1. Don't try it with caramelised soy sauce, dark soy or light soy though.
I hate to say this, but no. They don't freeze well as they are cooked to the point of almost falling apart, which means they totally lose integrity when frozen.
Grab your biggest platter, top with rice, then veggies and then the chicken. Pour the sprinkle with spring onions and coriander, then add extra sauce. The sauce drips right through the veggies and rice making everything on the platter so tasty!
More delicious dinner ideas
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Sticky Chicken Wings
- 1.5 kgs of chicken wings chopped into three pieces (you could easily use drumettes only)
- 2 cups honey
- ¾ cup soy sauce
- ¾ cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cm ginger grated
- A bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 2 spring onions sliced
- In a medium frypan, fry the chicken wings in batches until golden (I have skipped this step before but it really adds to the flavour so I recommend it)
- Mix the honey, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce, garlic, ginger together in a jug.
- Place the browned chicken in the slow cooker and pour over the sauce, coating all the chicken. Cook for 5 hours on low, 2.5 hours on high.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken wings,coating all the chicken. Cook for 20 minutes, high pressure, manual pressure release at the end.
- Place the chicken in the dutch oven and pour the sauce over the chicken wings, coating all the chicken. Cook for 2 hours at 160 with the lid on.
- Place rice on a large platter.
- Place steamed veggies on the platter.
- Top with the chicken, spring onions and coriander.
- Pour over extra sauce.
This post was originally published in 2014, and was republished on 4/8/2021, with brand new photos, process shots and video.