There are some times when you just don’t want to cook dinner and this is the perfect meal for those times. These spiced lamb, fetta and spinach gozleme are the perfect no fuss easy dinner for hot summer nights. These are by no means authentic, but they are yummy, and quick to make!
If you want to make your own pitta breads, then there is an awesome recipe over at Eats Amazing that I have made a number of times and it is genuinely a no-fail recipe! Making your own bread is lots of fun and doing it together as a family activity is awesome.
The flavours in this lamb are delicious, we love za’atar, it’s a favourite in our house, I use it in so many things. Za’atar is a middle eastern spice mix that gives flavour to everything it touches. Much like salt, it enhances flavours and makes everything taste amazing, You can generally find it in the supermarket pre-prepared, or maybe that’s my big city supermarkets! Za’atar is normally made with ground dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, mixed with toasted sesame seeds, and salt. Sometimes sumac is also put into the mix. The flavour is almost citrus in nature.
Gozleme are normally thin almost pancake style flabtreads, but making those takes a lot of time and effort, so cheating with pitta is a simple way to keep these easy for week nights. The fresh baby spinach adds crunch and the fetta adds an extra dimension of saltiness and also creaminess.
This is not a freezer friendly recipe, but you can double batch the lamb so that you can have these even quicker next time. It means you can defrost the meat in the fridge and then put together the spiced lamb, fetta and spinach gozleme quickly and easily.
Here are also some easy cooking you can try for yourself:
- Super easy 3 ingredient flatbreads, no rising!
- Savoury easy bake pretzels
- Lazy lunches made easy with Adventure Snacks
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 750 grams lamb mince
- 3 tbsps za'atar, see notes
- 1.5 cups baby spinach
- 200 grams fetta, crumbled
- 1.5 cups cheddar grated
- extra olive oil
- Add the olive oil to a large non stick frypan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the mince, and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the za'atar and cook the mince until browned.
- Remove from the frypan and wipe it down. brush down with olive oil and heat to medium/high.
- Open up the pitta pockets and place a covering of cheddar on the bottom, followed by lamb mince then baby spinach and finally a sprinkling of fetta.
- Place the lid on top. Brush both sides with oil.
- Place the filled pitta into the frypan, and cook until golden, then flip and cook the over side.
- Repeat with all the pittas until done.
- Serve with a greek salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516 Total Fat: 39.2g Saturated Fat: 17.4g Trans Fat: 0.8g Unsaturated Fat: 14.9g Cholesterol: 136.4mg Sodium: 568.8mg Carbohydrates: 5.1g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2.3g Protein: 37.1g