Is dinner a dream at your place? Just like mine. Of course, everyone sits up at the table, no-one argues, no-one complains, no-one needs to go to the toilet instantly. LOL. Well, this is one meal that will stop the complaints at least...because it's so yummy! Mexican is a serious crowd pleaser and this veggie packed mexican lasagna is completely awesome.
The mince I bought for this was actually destined for bolognaise but then I couldn't be bothered getting it ready in the morning (and I like to use the slow cooker for bolognaise). So I decided to play around and create a mexican lasagna. It only takes 30 minutes to bake so it's perfect for week nights. You can make the sauce in the morning and then compile the whole thing and bake when the kids are doing homework.
My kids don't love black beans, but you could add a drained can of those into the sauce to give it and even bigger veggie boost if your kids will eat them. Serve it with some guacamole and fresh salsa and you've got an amazing meal.
You've got an easy out for this recipe too- I use my own taco seasoning that I make (1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano (dried), 1 teaspoon chilli powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin (ground)) but you could also get a packet of taco seasoning and use it instead. That way you don't even have to have all the spices. It really just comes down to how you're feeling about dinner. The recipe is in this mexican post.
You know I'm not normally keen on "fusion style" foods, but this idea was combining two of our absolute favourites- Mexican and lasagna, so how wrong could it be? Because it's heat and eat at dinner time, it's super easy for busy nights and the slices freeze well, so you can keep them on hand for nights when an instant dinner is required.
Still want more of the lasagne recipes? Check out these other recipes:
Veggie packed mexican lasagna
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 500 grams beef mince
- one pack taco seasoning OR 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon oregano (dried, 1 teaspoon chilli powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon cumin (ground))
- 2 x 400gram tins crushed tomatoes
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 1 zucchini grated
- 1.5 cups frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup water
- 1 pack Barilla lasagna sheets
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 250 grams sour cream
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic to the saucepan and fry until just soft (1-2 minutes).
- Add the beef mince to the saucepan and fry until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add the taco seasoning and mix well through.
- Pour in the tomatoes, grated carrot, grated zucchini frozen corn and water.
- Cook for 25 minutes at a simmer.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place a tablespoon of the meat mixture in the bottom of the lasgana dish.
- Top with three sheets of lasagna then ¼ of the meat sauce. Repeat, ending with a meat layer.
- Combine the sour cream and 1 cup of cheese in a bowl, and spread across the top of the lasagna.
- Top with the remaining half cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove the foil and bake 15 minutes more.
- Serve hot with a side of guacamole and salsa.