I’m not going to claim that this winter warming chicken noodle soup heals everything, but it does come pretty close. We’ve had some tough winters, asthma has been around with us since Master 4 was just a few months old and we’ve spent lots of nights fraught with worry and in hospital.
Since Miss 6 started preschool a few years back, winters and their inevitable colds and coughs became the reality for us, as they do for most families with kids in school or preschool. And once one family member gets sick, the cold just seem to be passed around us all for the whole of the winter season.
There are a few things I do over the cold and flu season to try and keep everyone as healthy as possible:
- One of the main things I do is purchase lots of Aussie oranges and mandarins and make sure we are eating lots of vitamin C. We keep up our intake of lots of veggies and warming winter dishes such as this warming chicken noodle soup throughout the whole time too.
- I feel like I’m constantly reminding the kids about hygiene and washing hands after coughing or sneezing and making sure that we cover our mouths when coughing.
- We try to keep as warm as possible- which is difficult in a draughty 2 story house.
- We take Kids Probiotic Immune booster throughout winter
- Because my son has asthma he has the flu shot
Every year though, at least one child gets a nasty cough, you know what I’m talking about, the sort that tickles around 11pm at night and keeps everyone awake for the whole night.
Back to the winter warming chicken noodle soup. When everyone is sick in the house, the best thing to eat is some chicken noodle soup. There has to be some truth behind the healing properties of it, right?