After making the roast chicken the other night, we had leftover roast chicken. I like to either use it the next night or immediately freeze it. Using leftover chicken in this entirely unorthodox baked risotto makes for a quick and easy dinner, but if you want to you can replace it with fresh chicken breast and cook it whilst the risotto is baking.
I cook this from beginning to end in my 3.2l buffet le creuset casserole with lid. I bought it in 2006 in London and it has served me very well so far. In fact....some would say I love it! It is very useful so baking risotto as it is wide and shallow. You could achieve similar in a baking dish with lid, a corningware with a lid.
I've been a fan of baked risotto for a while. Seriously, why stir when you can bake it quickly and easily. I'll admit, it doesn't have the exact same texture as it's stirred opponent, but it tastes awesome and does the job. It frees up your hands for more pressing things...like lego towers and train building.
If you've been with us for a while you'll notice I'm obsessed with preserved lemon at the moment. That's because I'm trying to make sure if you follow my blog you won't leave the jar that you open for one recipe languishing in the fridge until its useby date. I want to help you finish it up!
Baked zucchini, mint and preserved lemon chicken risotto
- 1.5 cooked chicken breasts off a roast chicken or 2 chicken breasts, cooked
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- ½ preserved lemon flesh removed and chopped into small dice
- 2 cups risotto rice canaroli or arborio short grain rice
- 5 cups chicken stock warmed
- 2 zucchinis grated
- ¾ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in your casserole over medium heat and add the spring onions and preserved lemon. Cook until the spring onions are soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the rice and stock. Stir through.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid of foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven , add the chicken and grated zucchini, stir through.
- Bake a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the grated cheese and chopped mint. Stir through, leave to sit covered for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4 adults Or 2 adults and 2 kids plus lunch for the next day!