So…sometimes, it’s the simple things that make for the yummiest of lunches. I was sick for the entire first week of the school holidays, I taught one food class, then bam! So when I needed to bake in the second week, I was looking for cheating methods. That’s how these easiest ever ham and cheese scrolls came about…desperation.
What makes these scrolls amazing?
These scrolls will be your lifesaver when: you realise in the morning you need something for lunches, or when you don’t have any yoghurt for yoghurt dough scrolls. Using all butter puff pastry, it’s cheating in a yummy way.
These are so simple they hardly warrant being called a recipe, and the cheese can be subbed for any cheese you have in the fridge. The ham? Well, it could be bacon, chicken, zucchini, whatever you want. I use tomato paste and a sprinkling of herbs because I never buy pizza sauce but you could easily use that instead.
A family favourite recipe
I’ve been making these for years, my mother made them before me and called them pinwheels, I’m calling them scrolls, because that’s what my kids know them as. They were almost all devoured on the day of making and the rest have been frozen for school this week…because…lunchboxes don’t make themselves!
Make sure to preheat your oven, it’s super important. Use a pastry brush to ensure a good spread of the tomato paste. Roll them tightly so they don’t come apart.
5 ingredients is all it takes to make these delicious lunchbox ready scrolls!
- all butter puff pastry trust me, the all butter makes a difference!
- tomato paste I use the mutti brand as it is double concentrated
- italian herbs any mixed herbs will do
- ham either 6 slices, or 150 grams shaved, just chop it up
- cheese either cheddar or tasty works best for this.
Ready for how easy they are to make?
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.Spread tomato paste over the pastry
- Step 2: Sprinkle over the herbs
- Step 3: Top with ham and cheese
- Step 4: Roll into a log
- Step 5: Cut into 2cm rounds
- Step 6: Bake at 200 degrees celsius for 15 minutes
More scroll ideas:
- Hawaiian pizza scrolls
- Cheesymite scrolls
- Three veg lunchbox scrolls
- Salami pizza scrolls, lunchbox yumminess
- These tuna pinwheels are fun
They are perfect for freezing! Put them on a tray after baking and allow to freeze until completely solid before transferring to a freezer bag.
Easiest ever ham and cheese pizza scrolls
- 4 sheets all butter puff pastry defrosted
- 6 slices ham cut into slivers (or 150 grams shaved ham)
- 1.5 cups cheese grated
- 3 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 tsp mixed italian herbs
- preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Spread the puff pastry with the tomato paste, then the herbs.
- Cover with the ham and cheese and roll up like scrolls.
- Cut into 2 cm wide rounds.
- Space out on a baking tray lined with baking paper or a silicone liner.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees.