Sometimes, in summer, we go crazy and buy a whole tray of mangoes. Mr Kidgredients loves them and so do the kids. This summer we went super crazy and bought 2 trays…then we needed to eat 2 whole trays of mangoes! So I decided that finally I could use some to make a mango chicken curry!
Curry is such a tricky thing with kids, they either completely love it, or they despise it in my experience. But with the sweetness of the mango in this and the coconut milk, you’re onto a winner. For me, this mango chicken curry is strictly a summer meal, because I love fresh mango. But there are frozen chunks of mango available at the shops now, and you could use those if fresh is not an option.
Traditionally…wait is there anything traditional about this recipe? Well.. this probably wouldn’t contain carrots and peas if you bought it out. But I’m keen to get any veg into every meal, and if you’re serving it with naan breads and rice, you need to put the veg in some how!
This is the best most summery flavoured dish you can find and if you use my kid friendly curry paste in it, it isn’t too spicy for kids. Mine loved it, and there were leftovers for me and Mr Kidgredients for the next day for lunch too, or it does freeze well, if you would prefer to keep it for another day. It’s also easy to double batch this mango chicken curry if you have more people coming over, as it basically just needs doubling. You could do the same and freeze half.
If you’re using fresh mango, get the kids to help with the peeling and prepping to get it into the blender. Because it will get messy! My daughter is incredibly capable at making sure every last bit of mango is removed from the seed…and gets coated in mango in the process.
The colour of your mangoes will greatly impact the final colour of your curry, and I find the KP ones (available early in the season) are the least sweet, but all types work with this dish.
Curry ideas kids love
- Cauliflower and sweet potato curry
- Curried sausages, the best way to make them
- Thai turkey curry meatballs with sweet potato noodles, gluten and dairy free!
Mango chicken curry
- 3 mangoes flesh removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 kg boneless chicken thighs chopped into bite size chunks
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- [3 tbsps curry paste korma, or make your own]
- ½ head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into rounds
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- ½ cup 125ml chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ bunch coriander leaves only for serving
- Place the mango into a blender blender and blitz until smooth.
- Heat half the oil in a large frypan and brown the chicken in batches.
- Remove the chicken and over medium heat, heat the rest of the oil.
- Add onion and cook for 2 mins, don’t allow it to brown.
- Add curry paste and cook stirring for 2 mins.
- Add the carrots.
- Stir in coconut milk, stock and pureed mango.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 15 mins or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with coriander leaves and serve.