I don't normally go in for hiding veggies in meals, I would much prefer my kids to eat them as they are. But recently we went away and on return to preschool I felt like they needed an extra boost of veggies.
I had a lot of veggies in the fridge, some were destined for other things, but I popDISCped them all in the pot and cooked them down to make a sauce that once blitzed tastes awesome!
The awesomeness of the extra extra veggie sauce is how versatile it is. Do you have leftover chicken? Pop it in! Leftover lamb? Go for it!
I have to tell you however about what happened shortly after taking these pictures. Master 2 stuck pasta up his nose as I cleared the table. Not one piece, at least 3. Up each nostril. I got out the surface stuff, but he'd well and truly jammed it up there. So off we went to emergency where he sneezed out two bits. The we spent 3 hours waiting for a Dr to look up his schnoz and give him the all clear.
For all future pasta eating: master 2 is getting rigatoni. Try shoving that up your nose!
- 2 kgs tomatoes cored but not peeled, chopped
- 1 eggplant chopped
- 2 zucchinis chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 2 small brown onions chopped
- 16 leaves basil torn
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 150 grams mushrooms chopped
- 4 tbsps olive oil
- In a large pot over high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the garlic, basil, onion and cook for one minute, or until fragrant.
- Add all the veg, bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until it had reduced and is thick.
- Blitz in a blender or food processor.
- Serve over pasta, use in lasagne, wherever you would need a tomatoey sauce!