I’ve been needing an Omie Box for a while and now that I’ve been using them for a couple of weeks, I feel like I’m ready to talk about them. So here goes, another Kidgredients Lunchbox review: Omie Box.
It’s been a while since I’ve reviewed any new lunchboxes, you can check out all the ones I have reviewed in my big lunchbox review. You can also check my thermal container reviews here.
But let’s get started on the Omie Box. It’s a hot and cold lunchbox with two different thermal zones.
Firstly, it’s a pretty awesome looking lunchbox. With 5 different colours, pink, blue, green, yellow and purple, there is something for everyone. The colours are bright and fun and it has a solid chunky feel about it.
- The Omie box holds over 1479 mls of food without the thermal container on board. This is reduced to 975 mls of food with the thermal container.
- It is a leakproof lunchbox, meaning nothing moves from one compartment to the next.
- The thermal jar holds it’s temperature well and holds enough food for the “main course” of lunch.
- You can use the thermal jar hot or cold.
- The removable divider makes and extra segment in whichever compartment you choose to use it in.
- Dividers are replaceable.
- The thermal jar is easy to open and close.
- There is lots of space for other lunchbox goodies.
- The thermos is removable.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Easy to clean.
- The weight. With the thermal jar in place, this is a heavy lunchbox. It weighs around 865 grams, before filling with food.
- Using a lunchbag is tricky, we are using the Yumbox branded bags and in it we can fit the Omie, fuel snack and dip for crunch and sip and a yumbox mini snack, but it’s a squeeze. You also have to tuck ice bricks in under the cold section of the lunchbox and around the other containers.
- There’s no spot for a spoon or fork. It would be awesome if it came with a foldable spork.
- The removable divider is easy to lose. It comes out in the dishwasher, or can go missing in the bin when kids are throwing scraps away.
- The shape is a little difficult for fitting in lunchbags with the other lunchboxes kids need as well.
- The cost! At $69.95 it’s an expensive lunchbox.
All in all, it’s great if you have kids who want the versatility of a hot lunch with cold snacks. It’s easy to clean, easy for kids to open and shut. It does fill a gap in the market, but the heaviness of it means I’m carrying the school bags. It’s great for winter time, but I don’t know that I could call it an essential nor can I imagine that we would use it as a one and only lunchbox.
It’s great for primary aged kids and preschoolers.
Where to buy?