Everyone loves a potato bake. Seriously, what’s not to love about it? Especially when there’s bacon, potato, caramelised onions, cream and cheese involved. And crunchy bits. Let’s not forget the crunchy bits!
The best thing about this potato bake, though, is that it is done in single serves and is perfect for freezing to accompany meals. You need a silicone cupcake tray for these and unless you are a whizz with a knife: a food processor, mandoline or grater with a slice option.
I was going to clean up the dish to make it look all pretty, but to be honest, the ooze is one of the best parts of these little beauties…
Here are some of my famous potato recipes:
- Sweet potato, broccoli and carrot tortilla quiches
- Sweet Potato Gems, yummy tater tots!
- Sweet potato choc chip muffins
- 8 small to medium potatoes, 600gms
- 500 mls chicken stock, or use water
- 3 tablespoons of
- caramelised onions
- or 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 rashers of middle bacon, diced
- 150 mls cream
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes
- Cook the potatoes in the stock (either in a saucepan - add the potatoes after the stock has boiled for 2-3 minutes or in the microwave for 5 minutes) they need to be bendy but not soft.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes and reserve the stock
- Start with a layer of potatoes in the cupcake pan. You want to cover the bottom.
- Then sprinkle bacon on. Next is a layer of potatoes.
- Then onion. Repeat, ending with a potato layer.
- Spoon a dessert spoon of the chicken stock over each "cup cake". The pour over about a dessert spoon of cream into each one. It will sink between the layers.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for thirty minutes or until the cheese is golden and the cream is bubbling. Allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before removing if serving immediately. If freezing, wait until cool then put in the freezer as is. They are easy to decant when frozen and will hold their shape well enough to be transferred to a container.
Serving Size:1 pieceq
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 217mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 8g