We flew to Hamilton Island recently. And the food we got on the plane was less than exemplary. In short, it was grossly disappointing. I know, it was plane food and my expectations shouldn't be high, but with all the world getting so much more health conscious and so much going on in the way of healthy eating and changes to our diets, I would have thought that someone somewhere would have put some effort into what we are feeding our kids on planes. I was obviously wrong.
This was the "breakfast" served to my kids on the flight.
Now. Don't get me wrong, this post is going to be about burgers, but the ones in this post bear no resemblance whatsoever to those travesties. There was no goodness in them whatsoever and it was served to us in the same week that the WHO had just made all it's bold statements about processed meats. My daughter (bless her heart) refused to even look at the contents of the box. My son, did try it. Neither ate their "breakfast".
So Tuesday night this week I tried to counter all the trauma that these "sliders and rollers" on the plane had inflicted. And I succeeded. You see burgers, when made properly and with good ingredients can be amazing, they can seriously be brilliant beef burgers! And not only that, they offer all the choice of Taco Tuesday so the kids can DIY.
We served our burgers with:
- sliced tomato
- sliced cucumber
- Yumis roasted garlic aioli
- cheese slices
- sweet potato baked fries
If you love beef more than pork, then you must love these beef recipes I have:
Brilliant Beef Burgers (with a cup of veggies!)
- 500 grams premium beef mince
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 cup mixed grated/finely diced veggies I used grated zucchini and finely diced mushrooms
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Roll into 12 balls an flatten either by hand or with a hamburger patty flattener.
- Cook in a frypan with some olive oil over medium heat 3-4 minutes each side or until brown.