This post is sponsored by RACO.
When it comes to Mother’s Day, we often think of delightful gifts bought at the Mother’s Day stall at school and handmade cards. But this year, I’m setting you a challenge. Teach your kids to make this easy French toast and with the help of an adult, they can make you breakfast in bed!
Cooking with kids
I love French toast, and although it’s something people only ever order out, it’s delicious and simple to make. There are steps in this recipe that even the youngest family members can do, as until it comes to frying the toast and chopping the berries, everything else is heat free and doesn’t involve anything sharp.
Tasks for the kids:
- Cracking eggs
- Adding ingredients
- Pouring syrup
- Arranging berries
Tasks for older kids (or well supervised little ones):
- Chopping berries
Tasks that need an adult:
- Frying the French toast
Choose the right pan
If you want to make sure your recipes come out perfectly every time, then you need the right equipment. SmartRelease™ Ceramic by RACO is a range of awesome ceramic frying pans!
Often with things like eggs (or cheese) a regular pan will stick, but not with SmartRelease™!
With a stylish mid-grey exterior and cream ceramic interior, SmartRelease™ Ceramic by RACO is not only a stylish addition to the kitchen, but is a healthy way to cook, being PTFE and PFOA Free - no lead, no cadmium.
These pans are dishwasher safe perfect for clean up! They are also oven safe to 180°C and are suitable for all cooktops except Induction.
Made from durable aluminium with a ceramic coating, it heats up evenly and quicker, meaning it’s perfect for all kinds of family meals, from breakfast through to dinner.
You can get your own here (use my code: KIDGREDIENTS to get 20% off storewide) or buy in store at BIG W.
Taking care of ceramic pans
Sure, they are dishwasher safe, but with all things, if you really want them to love you long term, you need to love them as well. So for the most part, I try to wash ceramic pans by hand. That just means you are protecting the SmartRelease™ surface as best you can.
Follow these simple steps to keep your non stick cookware working for you:
- Avoid continuous high heat or overheating the pan as it could cause it to discolour.
- Don’t use anything sharp or abrasive to clean it (like steel wool or coarse sponges).
- Do not leave food in after cooking- clean up straight away or at least rinse off.
- Don’t use oil sprays in cooking as a layer of oil will burn to the pan.
- Try to use non metal and gentle utensils.
- Never allow it to boil dry and don’t leave it empty on a burner.
- NEVER use oven cleaners to clean cookware, as you will ruin it!
Toppings for French Toast
While we have gone with berries and maple syrup (yum yum!) there are loads of things you could put on top of your French toast:
- Banana and cinnamon
- Toasted macadamias
- Ricotta and honey
- A poached egg
- Fruit salad
- Sliced apple or pear and whipped cream
- Caramel sauce
Easy French Toast
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 slices thick cut bread
- A knob of butter
- In a large bowl crack the eggs.
- Add the milk, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla and whisk until well combined.
- Dip the bread in the mixture and then flip to coat the other side.
- Place your pan over medium heat and add a knob of butter to coat.
- When the butter starts to sizzle, spread it across the pan.
- Add the soaked bread.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes (or until golden), then flip and cook the other side.
- When it is golden, remove from the pan, add your favourite toppings and serve immediately.