So...Tuesday nights are slow cooker night. By the time I pick up Master 2 from preschool, dinner needs to be 90% done, because then I take Miss 4 to dancing only 40 minutes later and she doesn't finish until 6:00.
The slowcooker really is a bit of a wonderous tool. I love that I can set it and leave it, knowing that dinner will be OK...or even better than ok. Lemon and herb are like a match made in heaven for the slow cooker, everything becomes punchier with long slow cooking.
Tonight's slow cooker meal is based on something I used to flash fry in the frypan with a wine and lemon sauce. Not particularly kid friendly. So, I've been contemplating it for a while...and I've done it! It's saucy and best served with some rice. This was a winner with both Mini Kidgredients. Plus there is enough leftover chicken for tomorrow night- awesome!
So if you haven't brought out the slow cooker yet, make sure you do for this one.
Lemon and herb slow cooker chicken
- 6 skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 3 tbsps fresh oregano
- 2 tbsps fresh thyme
- zest of ½ a lemon
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ lemon sliced
- 1.5 cups of chicken stock
- Over a medium/high heat fry the chicken thighs in the olive oil until golden on both sides.
- Add to the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with the slices of lemon.
- Fry the onions for 2 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the lemon juice, zest and herbs.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes then pour over the chicken thighs.
- Cook for 6 hours on low with a tea towel under the lid.
- Serve with lots of the juice juices over rice.
- Serves 2 adults and 2 kids with some leftovers (tomorrow nights paella!)