Making this baked creamy chicken pasta is the best way to have a quick and delicious family meal that everyone will love. Filled with veggies and flavoured with basil, this creamy chicken pasta bake is great for making on cold nights, or making in advance and freezing.
Why you're going to love this recipe
Family dinners can be tricky, I get that! But when you make something this simple and delicious, it takes the stress out of dinner. Here's why you're going to love this creamy chicken pasta bake.
- easy to make
- kid friendly flavours
- baked for extra yum (seriously, who doesn't love crispy edge bits?)
- cheesy, creamy and delicious
- perfect comfort food for cold nights
- filled up with veggies for extra goodness
- the cream cooks in the oven to make a delicious sauce for the pasta bake
What goes into the recipe
Don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for full ingredient amounts.
- chicken breast- breast is best for this recipe as it's a quick cook recipe
- bacon- I use middle bacon
- zucchini- could also be swapped for broccoli!
- carrot- great for getting familiar veggies into the kids- could also be swapped for peas
- filled pasta- I prefer a cheese and spinach type for this recipe, but have also used mushroom, three cheese, ham and cheese, pumpkin etc
- cream- just straight pure cream
- cheese blend- I used ½ mozzarella and half parmesan. You could also try the pizza cheese or the melt cheese from the supermarket or even just a simple tasty cheese.
- fresh basil- torn, not chopped!
- salt and pepper- TO TASTE!
How to make this recipe
Don't forget to scroll to the recipe card for full instructions.
- Grate the veggies and chop the onion, preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Brown the chicken, then remove from the pan.
- Soften the onions and garlic in a skillet.
- Add the bacon.
- Cook the veggies with the bacon.
- Cook the pasta to the packet instructions.
- Add the veggies, chicken and cream to the drained cooked pasta. Add the basil. Pour into a baking dish.
- Top with cheese, bake 20 minutes casserole dish with a lid and 15 without!
Expert Tips and FAQs
Yes! It freezes well in portions or whole. Make sure it is in an airtight container in the freezer.
Yes! Swapping for broccoli, or peas or whatever takes your fancy works just fine! It is also delicious with cherry tomatoes.
Yes! By choosing gluten free pasta.
Use a rotisserie chicken and skip cooking the chicken altogether. It will work perfectly fine in the mixture.
I've used tasty cheddar cheese in this recipe before, but a combination of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese is by far the most tasty option. Sprinkle it right to the edges to get crunchy sides!
This recipe is deigned for families, but you can add chilli or red pepper flakes to add a kick to it.
More family pasta dinners
Why don't you subscribe to my newsletter, or follow along on Facebook and Instagram? If you make something from the blog please tag @kidgredients on instagram- it really makes my day to see what you've been making!
Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe
- 600 grams chicken breast
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 carrots
- 100 grams diced bacon
- 1 ` onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 grams basil
- 300 ml cream
- 625 grams filled pasta
- 125 grams mozzarella
- 125 grams parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius fanforced (355F)
- First peel and grate the zucchini and carrot. Dice the onion, slice the chicken.
- Fry the chicken in a medium frypan over medium heat with the olive oil until golden. Set aside.
- Bring water to boil in a large pot and cook the pasta as per the pack instructions.
- Fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the bacon and fry until golden.
- Add the veggies and stir for 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add the veggies, chicken and cream mix well.
- Stir through the basil and pour into a baking dish.
- Top with the cheese. Bake 20 minutes with a lid and 15 without until golden and bubbly.