Shredded beef carnitas with lime have become a new favourite around here!
Do you love Taco Tuesday? It's generally part of our weekly agenda- we always try to do something "Mexican" on a Tuesday. This week we did shredded beef carnitas with lime- basically, it's beef that's cooked slow (or fast) until shreddable.
You then use it to fill your tacos or your burritos just as you usually would with mince or similar.
The great thing about carnitas is that you can use cheap stewing/gravy beef to make them. Especially when you use lime juice in them as it is amazing for tenderising.
The great thing about this way of doing tacos is you can choose which way suits you...time poor in the evening? Do the slow cooker in the morning. Time poor in the morning, whack it in the pressure cooker in the evening.
It's really versatile too, you can even use the meat for nachos, it's so shreddable and delicious. It's also awesome in pies, wraps and...really the possibilities are endless.
The beef ends up so tender and juicy, you will kick yourself for not having done this sooner.
If you need ideas for how to turn these carnitas into a whole "Mexican" feast, this post should help you with ideas. And if you want more taco Tuesday ideas, you could try this pineapple and lime pulled pork or this coriander shredded chicken- they all help to make Taco Tuesday more fun!
As a base for this recipe, we serve our carnitas with:
- sour cream
- chopped cucumber
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped iceberg lettuce
- grated cheese
- corn off the cob
- chopped spring onions
And the kids serve themselves from the centre of the table. I have a rule that they must have at least 2 veggies in each taco and that they should also choose different ones each time.
Pin it here:
Shredded beef carnitas with lime, slow cooker
- 1 kg chuck beef or gravy beef cut into chunks
- olive oil for frying
- 3 spring onions thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup taco seasoning or make your own
- juice of two limes
- zest of two limes
- Coat the beef in the taco seasoning, making sure to cover it all.
- Press well to massage it into the meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan and cook the beef in batches until browned.
- Remove to the slow cooker.
- Fry the spring onions quickly, then add to the slow cooker.
- Add the lime juice and zest to the slow cooker bowl.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred with forks on a plate.