This post has brand new photos (6/10/2017), because they are a favourite and we want you to try them too! These zucchini, za'atar and cheese yoghurt dough scrolls are the most yummy ever mix of spice and cheese with big veggie hit. Of course they are freezer friendly and they also are awesome in the lunchbox...that goes without saying!
This combination works super well for getting just a little bit of extra veggies into the kiddies! And the za'atar gives such a fantastic flavour- it's just a bit lemony and has the perfect amount of flavour to give these scrolls the punch they need!
So remember last weeks yoghurt dough scrolls? I've been trying out new flavours with them so as to not let the kids get bored. I changed the seeds in this one too and found after the original dough being very wet that you don't need any additional water with flaxseeds as they don't absorb the water from the yoghurt like chia seeds do. You can get linseeds or flaxseeds in the health food section of your supermarket or your local wholefood supplier.
These freeze really well and taste yummy cold, so take one out the night before for packing in the lunch in the morning. If you're wondering what za'atar is...you need to know this: it will become your new best friend. So don't buy it in a small package. It's a middle eastern spice mix that you will either find in a large supermarket (depending on where you live), a specialist spice shop or deli. It has so many uses and the flavour of it is just divine.
Lovin' the cheese yoghurt flavour? Here are my other scroll recipes with cheese yoghurt flavour in them:
Zucchini, Za'atar and Cheese Yoghurt Scrolls
- ¾ cup wholemeal self raising flour
- ¾ cup white self raising flour
- 1 cup yoghurt
- ⅛ cup flax/linseeds
- flour for dusting
- Today's filling: 1 cup grated cheddar 1 grated zucchini, 1tbsp za'atar
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray.
- Combine the bread ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Either manually need for 10 minutes or do it in a mixer with a dough hook.
- The resulting dough will be sticky but not unmanageable.
- Dust a large flat surface with flour.
- Roll the dough until you have a large rectangle, approx 1.5 cms thick.
- Starting on one side, sprinkle with cheese, zucchini and za'atar, covering the whole dough, but reserving a little cheese and za'atar for the top.
- Roll the dough tightly until you reach the other side.
- Cut into rounds 5 cms tall.
- Place the rounds on the prepared baking tray and sprinkle with the leftover cheese and za'atar and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the tray for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes 9-10.
- Freeze for lunchboxes!