When it comes to dinner time, one of my favourite things to do is dish up a big steaming hot bowl of pasta. It's so convenient. It's so yummy! And with ALL the veg sauce, you don't have to rely on jar sauces ever again.
When I say ALL the veg, I really mean ALL the veg! This sauce is packed with veggies, is entirely meat free and contains no dairy or gluten. So it's the perfect base for any pasta dish you might want.
What can I serve it with?
If something like this recipe for Chicken campagnola – chicken with spinach, cheese and a tomato sugo calls for passata, then you can sub it for the ALL the veg sauce, meaning you've packed even more veggies into dinner.
You can serve it with pasta, with or without meat, fish or anything else. It's delicious on it's own, but it also absolutely shines when you cook meatballs in it or you use it as the base for any tomato sauce type of meal.
Really? Can I really put in all those veggies?
Blitzing the veggies at the end means that not only is it packed full of veggies, but their flavour all melts together and they make a cohesive, homogenous awesomeness, so if your kid can't stand the texture of a certain veg...it doesn't matter- because it gets blitzed!
I used frozen zucchini and spinach in mine, because I have to empty the freezer a bit! But fresh is perfect. Also, you're probably wondering why I used cherry tomatoes? They are super sweet!
Can I freeze this sauce?
Oh yes! The idea with things like this amazing sauce is to actually stock your freezer so nights when it's all too hard, you defrost the sauce, cook the pasta and you're DONE!
ALL the veg sauce
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 spring onions
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 zucchinis
- 150 grams spinach fresh or frozen
- ¼ cabbage
- 3 tsps veggie stock powder
- 2 tins cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch parsley
- 700 grams tomato passata
- 2.5 cups water
- Heat 2 tbsps olive oil over medium heat in a large saucepan (with a lid).
- Chop the onion and add to the olive oil. Chop the celery, add to the pot.
- Add the chopped carrot, spring onions, spinach, zucchini, cabbage and cauliflower.
- Pour in the tinned cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley..
- Add the stock powder and 2.5 cups of water.
- Pop a lid on and cook for 2 hours at a simmer or until everything is soft.
- Blitz with a stick blender.
- Add the passata and mix well.
- Serve with pasta or use in things like lasagne!