This berry polenta slice came about when I spied something I’d jotted down in my recipe book years ago and it sparked a new idea. This easy to make slice is freezer friendly, low in sugar and gluten free. It’s perfect for baking with the kids and doesn’t involve any tricky equipment.
Don’t just take my word for it, the kids are gobbling this afternoon treat slice by the piece and I’m going to be hard pressed to be allowed to freeze any of it for lunches for next week! I love having different things available to eat in the freezer ready to go for lunches, and this one is the perfect addition to the repertoire.
Polenta and coconut make for the perfect crunchy crumbly slice when paired with berries. I’ve kept it super low in sugar, and also gluten free. If your kids are dairy free you could always sub the butter for coconut oil, but I haven’t tried it, so it comes with no guarantees. This slice is gluten free by design, it doesn’t need any substitutes.
The napkin in the photo was hand embroidered by my grandmother- she was a needlework teacher and I’ve inherited all of her hand sewn napkins, pretty cute, huh?
If you don’t love frozen mixed berries, you could sub for fresh strawberries or a single variety of frozen berries, either way the quantities will stay the same. Enjoy it with a cup of tea or coffee and a bit of peace when the kids are back at school, or pop it into lunchboxes. The syrup isn’t compulsory, but it helps to add moisture back into the cake as otherwise the combination of polenta and coconut can be a little dry.
Want more of this polenta recipe? Check them below:
- Polenta gnocchi pie
- Strawberry and lemon polenta cake
- Crunchy panko polenta fish fingers a yummy way to try fish
- 175 grams butter, softened
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 grams polenta
- 100 grams desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 cup frozen berries
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Add the sugar and butter to a large bowl and cream together.
- Add the eggs and polenta and mix well to combine.
- Add the vanilla, baking powder, coconut and berries.
- Pour into a squarecake tin and push down with a spoon.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
- The slice is done when a skewer inserted in it comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, heat the lemon juice and sugar in a microwave for 2 minutes or on the stove for 1-2 minutes until syrupy.
- Poke holes in the top of the cake with a skewer and pour over the syrup while the cake is still hot.
- Cool completely in the tin then serve in squares.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 40mg Sodium: 128mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 1g