So veggies, I’m hiding them everywhere. Much against my better judgement. But also for one serious purpose. I know these recipes help you! Yes. YOU. If you’re a Mum or Dad and you have little treasures who won’t eat veggies, I’m writing this for you. Because I’ve been there. For some veggies I’m still there. And I want you to know that I’m here for you! Before you think- but hasn’t she done beetroot before? the answer is YES! And that recipe is here: un-beetable cacao cake. Now let’s talk about this new one. It’s a coconut and vanilla cake (with hidden beetroot) just don’t tell them about the beetroot.
It’s dairy free, moist and yummy and has very little taste of the offending items. It’s perfect for the freezer and stays springy and moist even after freezing. It’s low in sugar and perfect for the lunchbox. BUT. Serve it with icecream, a dusting of cacao powder and a couple of raspberries and you’re in hidden veggie heaven. Trust me. I didn’t photograph it like that…because it wouldn’t end up in lunchboxes, it would all get eaten for dessert! But this is a versatile cake…I’m also imagining it as an icecream sandwich…
I have to admit, the new silicone cake pan I got for my birthday- thanks kids- has done all the hard work of the ripples on top that look so cool. None of that was me! Don’t worry if the cake looks incredibly pink before baking, because you flip it before serving and only the base has any pinkness to it.
Cakes are always a hit for kids. Here are my other popular cake recipes:
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 90 grams coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 2 beetroots, peeled and blitzed with 3/4 cup water until smooth
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 21cm square cake tin. Or use a silicone one.
- combine all the ingredients in a mixer and mix until well combined.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping out onto a wire rack.
- Wait until completely cool before serving.