My kids really love a good biscuit. I love a good biscuit too. But a biscuit that you can hide good stuff in is another ball game. Now, I’m the first to admit, I’m not usually a fan of grapefruit. But we got a citrus box and it contained 4 grapefruits. So I had to work out a way to use them up. Because I hate food waste…and because well…I just wanted to try and make them yummy. Thus, these grapefruit, chia and poppyseed cookies came about.
To be honest, I was nervous. After popping them in the oven I googled baking with grapefruits and lets just say there weren’t many hits. But there should be heaps more! Because grapefruit in bickies is just totally awesome.
I’ve tried my best to make these healthy. But they are a treat, and treats sometimes have to be a little naughty. Being entirely honest, only you can make the judgement call as to whether they are for your kids (and if they aren’t you could just eat them all yourself).
These went in lunch boxes for us and kept for a week in an airtight container. If you don’t think you could eat them all within a week then you could freeze balls of the dough ready to defrost on trays and bake. The chia seeds go unnoticed in these because of the poppyseeds and add a delicious crunch to the biscuits.
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups wholemeal SR flour
- 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- zest of one grapefruit
- 3 tbsps grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced.
- Line two baking trays with paper or silicone liners.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add egg beat for one minute more.
- Add the flour to the egg/butter mixture.
- Add poppyseeds, chia seeds,grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice. Stir to combine.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls.
- Place the balls 5cms apart and flatten with 2 fingers.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Cool on trays for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 85 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 4mg Carbohydrates: 10g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 4g Protein: 1g