When it comes to cupcakes, I have always been obsessed with marbled cupcakes. Even as a young kid, marbled cake was something of my dreams come true. These marbled choc vanilla cupcakes are capturing the imagination of the two tone cake, but are much healthier with low sugar!
I've lowered the sugar in these, and Master 5 thinks they are amazing! Miss 7 thinks they are too sweet- so there is no pleasing everyone. personally I think they are just right and this afternoon with my coffee they were positively perfect.
I'm having so many oven troubles right now, these rose dramatically towards the back of the oven and it made them really irregular in shape- something that makes them look a little less cute! Icing them would have meant cutting the tops off and trying to fix their shape, so I'm glad I didn't want to ice them.
Of course, these could be even healthier if we removed all the sugar, but would they still be a treat? There are other healthier options on the blog if the magic of the marbling isn't enough for you, these chocolate madelines are really low in sugar as are these chocolate bliss balls.
There is something so pretty about marbling, and it's such a good way to add some fun to these low sugar cupcakes. Marbled choc vanilla cupcakes are going to be a freezer essential for me, as it can be quite difficult to find things to please Master 5.
To achieve the perfect marbling, you need to make sure that you have separate areas of the flavours in the muffin hole. Then mix them with a skewer, being careful to swirl rather than mix.
Marbled choc vanilla cupcakes
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsps vanilla paste
- ¼ cup sugar of your choice
- 150 grams butter melted
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ⅓ cup water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (355f).
- Mix the flour, eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and sugar together.
- Split the batter into 2 separate bowls.
- Add ⅓ cup water to one batter.
- Add ⅓ cup water and ⅓ cup cocoa to the other.
- Drop a tablespoon of vanilla batter into each cupcake hole.
- Drop a tablespoon of chocolate batter in each hole.
- Scrape up any extra vanilla and divide amongst the holes and repeat with the chocolate.
- Using a skewer, make swirls in the top of the cupcakes.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to cooling rack.