This is an updated post. We love these little cheese and spinach savoury tarts, so I decided they needed a redo! They were a much needed addition to our bake to school freezer restock.
I made ricotta with unhomogenised milk last night. It was divine. I’m trying to stock up the freezer with some back to preschool goodies for those mornings when everything isn’t going anywhere near to plan.
I took a gamble with these and it paid off- I’ve never really done open pies in a muffin tray before, let alone with puff pastry! But my gamble worked out- and Miss 4, a self proclaimed non eater of pastry devoured 2.
I used a flower cutter to make the pastry shapes and they fitted perfectly into my silicone cupcake trays. They puffed up really nicely, and you could use a flower cutter for anything that needs a pastry base, mini quiches, other tarts etc..
By using flavours that were already favourites, the kids enjoyed these. They also had the added benefit of being new to the two mini Kidgredients so they were very exciting to eat! They can go straight from the freezer to the lunchbox and will be ready to eat at lunchtime. They can also be reheated if you want them warm.
I think you could play with the flavours a lot with these, add some bacon, use different veggies, at some fetta, the possibilities are endless, so let me know what you create!
- 150 grams cheddar, grated
- 250 grams ricotta
- 1 egg
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 200. Either use a silicone cupcake tray or line a metal one.
- Using either a flower cutter or a round cutter (even a glass will do) cut out 12 rings for the cupcake tray.
- Push each one into the tray.
- Mix together all the filling ingredients.
- Push into the pastry.
- Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then place on a wire rack to continue cooling and crisping.
- Makes 12.
- Freeze when cooked and defrost in the fridge (or lunchbox).
Serving Size:2 mini tarts
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384 Total Fat: 27.5g Saturated Fat: 11.7g Trans Fat: 0.2g Unsaturated Fat: 13.7g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 345.8mg Carbohydrates: 19.6g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 0.8g Protein: 15.8g