This blog post has been updated to include shiny new photos…on 26/8/2017. I made a batch of 12 large and 12 mini of these orange poppyseed mini cakes with hidden chia to send into the school cake stall. I have to admit, I was amazed at just how easy and how tasty this recipe is. It does contain sugar, but only ¼ cup which is much less than most recipes for a batch this size!
A few weeks back I picked up a mini cupcake silicone tray at the supermarket. It only holds 12 and I regret not having bought more than one as they don’t have them anymore. This is what happens when I do grocery shopping by myself on a Sunday night! So I put the little tray on my stack of oven trays and tried to ignore it, but I finally gave into temptation yesterday and made some mini treats for lunchboxes.
They are treats, they do contain sugar, but only ¼ cup! Much less sugar than most batches this size of muffins, but they are yummy and they have passed freezer, taste and adult taste testing. They are perfect for a little pick me up mid afternoon.
As a bonus- there are hidden chia seeds in them. I love it because the poppy seeds effectively hide the chia for you! I decided yesterday afternoon that having 36 of these on my kitchen bench was a recipe for disaster as they were so moreish, so I took some into my daughters preschool for the teachers.
I have also some recipes where you can put in some poppyseed to your kid’s snacks. Check them out:
Orange poppyseed mini cakes with hidden chia, low sugar!
- 1 cup self raising flour
- ¾ cup wholemeal self raising flour
- 1.5 tbsps chia seeds
- 1.5 tbsps poppy seeds
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- zest of one orange
- juice of one orange
- 6 tbsps coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Combine the chia seed and poppy seeds in a jug with the milk, add the orange juice. Leave for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, orange zest and sugar.
- Add the coconut oil, vanilla and eggs to the chia and poppy seed mix. Whisk well to combine.
- Combine the wet and dry, with a spatula until well mixed.
- Spoon into mini cupcake trays
- Bake for 12- 15 minutes or until golden and springy.
- Stand in the tray for 15 minutes before moving to a wire rack.