These strawberry choc chip mascarpone muffins came about entirely due to a series of circumstances. Basically, before we went camping at Easter, I declared I would make a tiramisu to take with us, because I had "all the time in the world".
Truth be told, I had so little time we finished packing at midnight to leave at 5am. Lol that's my organisation skills for you. Anyway, these muffins resulted from the mascarpone I left in the fridge when we left because: no time to Tiramisù. BTW: want cheap mascarpone--- ALDI!
By all accounts though, these muffins were entirely worth the mascarpone waiting in the fridge. I took them to our family photo shoot with Kylie Purtell and she loved them too.
They don't contain any extra sugar other than what's in the dark chocolate chips, and to be honest, you won't miss it. They are squishy, moist and fudgey, And quite delicious. Make that very delicious. They almost taste decadent.
The mascarpone means that these muffins are almost crumb free. Which is awesome if you're eating these out and about...or for example in the car. Nit that we'd ever let our kids eat in the car, right? LOL.
But I digress, the strawberries I used in these were so super sweet as they are at the end of the season and they were so juicy that they left pools of strawberriness (spell check thinks that isn't a word...seriously...does it not believe in creativity??) on the chopping board.
These probably aren't a lunchbox food, but seriously, these strawberry choc chip mascarpone muffins aren't as decadent or as naughty as they taste. So there could be much worse things to put in the lunchbox!
I'd never though to use mascarpone in a muffin before, but I'm so very glad I did. They taste sensational and are so delicious I can see that these will become a regular on my baking list! Love this cooling rack? So do we! You can get your own from bendo!
strawberry choc chip mascarpone muffins
- 75 grams butter softened
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg
- 60 mls milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 192 grams self raising flour
- 125 grams strawberries chopped
- 230 grams dark chocolate chips
- Combine the butter and mascarpone in the bowl of a mixer and beat together for 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, vanilla and egg and beat together until smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the flour to the wet ingredients. Mix with a spatula until well combined.
- Add the choc chips and chopped strawberries and fold through.
- Pour into 12 muffin holes and bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then place on a wire rack until completely cool.