I think secretly I wish I was a member of the CWA. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the Country Women’s Association. Living in a big city (the biggest in Australia) probably realistically means I will never be a member of the CWA. But if I was, I’d like to cause a ruckus by making these scones. Because these super simple 3 ingredient scones are basically rule breaking!
These are made unconventionally too, so make sure you follow the instructions closely!
Using thickened cream in these feels almost wrong…I mean why add something thick and heavy if you want to make something light and fluffy? How is that a thing? Well, it certainly is and it is what helps these scones to have the perfect density. The crumb on these super simple 3 ingredient scones is just right and the outer shell is perfect too.
As with many baked goods, the key to these is to not over knead. Don’t over mix and don’t over bake. Basically, err on the side of caution and don’t put too much effort into any aspect of them is the rule of thumb. Sounds like the perfect recipe, right?
Now, what are scones without jam and cream? We had some bonne mamman in the cupboard- cherry conserve and that ticked all the boxes! Look how cute the little spreader knife is- it’s my grandmother’s and one of the things that I had to have when we sold her home.
Do you put the jam on first or the cream? I’ll admit- I’m all about the jam first. But funnily enough, Mr Kidgredients doesn’t like jam and Master 5 decided the scones would be much better plain. If you love recipes with three ingredients- you have to try these flatbreads!
Super simple 3 ingredient scones
- 250 mls thickened cream
- 50 grams of caster sugar
- 200 grams self raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Combine the ingredients a large bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Knead it with your hand briefly in the bowl then turn out onto a floured board.
- Dust with flour and roll out to a large rectangle 1cm thick.
- Cut 24 rounds (5cm) from the dough with a crimped cutter.
- Take two rounds and brush one side with water.
- Stick the wet sides together.
- Dust with flour and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with jam and cream.